Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   I need the CHEAPE$T way to install a 3.55mm jack (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/i-need-cheape%24t-way-install-3-55mm-jack-25181/)

VTechYO 05-05-2009 10:07 PM

I need the CHEAPE$T way to install a 3.55mm jack

Does anyone know of the cheapest way i could install a 3.5mm jack?

On my other car i opened up the radio and spliced one of these suckers in.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103451&cp
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/stereo...k-hu-pics.html

Any cheap way out on the honda? Please no ipod2car kit for $120.

On my other car it cost me $3 at radioshack and a cat5 internet wire.

Considering the honda has a AUX button, can i use the same concept?

Oh btw, its a 07 w/ XM and 6disc changer

status 05-05-2009 11:12 PM

your either gonna have to jimmy rig it your self like you did before or your buy the ipod 2car.

t00fatt 05-06-2009 12:04 AM

Stock HU requires an AUX interface, once you have the stock interface you can wire up a jack to the interface. No way around the interface.

falkore24 05-06-2009 12:07 AM

Sorry, I only do things the right way ..... in this case, that would include a JL Cleansweep or one of the other OEM sound processors that I saw in Crutchfield yesterday. Might even be cheaper and easier to get a headunit with a jack on it. Mine has an aux jack on the back, but I don't use it because I have the iPod hooked up with a digital interface.

t00fatt 05-06-2009 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by falkore24 (Post 170187)
Sorry, I only do things the right way ..... in this case, that would include a JL Cleansweep or one of the other OEM sound processors that I saw in Crutchfield yesterday. Might even be cheaper and easier to get a headunit with a jack on it. Mine has an aux jack on the back, but I don't use it because I have the iPod hooked up with a digital interface.

Very good advice right here, if your strapped for cash and care about audio quality a cheap quality aftermarket HU is your best option. Stock HU has a nasty EQ built into it, and produces a good amount of noise.

watson540 05-07-2009 01:22 AM

nah this guy said CHEAP..not "the right way"

And I did mine for free.

I posted the schematic I used on 6th gen, even though the schematic looked like it was for maybe a 5th gen radio (definitely wasnt my radio, but similar enough.

As for you guys shouting "jl cleansweep" it would be easier and cheaper to just solder a 3.5mm jack/wire to the output pins on the radio's ampp, or elswhere thats behind or after the radio's internal sound processing chips/circuits. And if you can read s simple schematic this is way in the scope of possibility, and without having to spend over a hunded bucks on a "Cleansweep" (which I agree, at that price point it's more feasible to just buy a new HU, unless you lease)

I myself dont mind the internal sound processers on the stock HU because I don't have any amps or anything right now.

I would refer you to 6thgenaccords audio/visual section to see my thread. I'll try to up the whole pdf schematic here but if the quotas are ridiculous llike 6thgens I won't fight with it.

the quotas on these boards are ridiculous. no way to store good info when you limit how much can be upped

"cq-jh8061_62z.pdf.zip:
Your file of 910.8 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 97.7 KB for this filetype."

PS - I was reading this thread again and I have to agree with the statement that "the stock eq is nasty" I would even go as far as saying the whole unit is junk...When I was rigging min2e I had first decided to splice into the amplifier ic. when i found out what it was (toshiba) and got the datasheet on that specific ic. it stated that ic's THD was about .02 ..which is freaking massively sucky. (decent components would be .001 THD or less)

So yes..the stick HU has crappy SQ..but I'm poor like many others so it works for me as is. Like I said you CAN cut out the internal sound processing in the HU, but you can never escape .02 Total Harmonic Distortion (AT NOMINAL VOLUME/Db!!)

Oh and I just caught this is for an 07..Would that not already have an aux input on it?? (for sure it does..if it has xm. But you may have to unhook the xm or split into in) The aux adapters for the late models are like 10 bucks, or people have made them too.

t00fatt 05-07-2009 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by t00fatt (Post 170186)
Stock HU requires an AUX interface, once you have the stock interface you can wire up a jack to the interface. No way around the interface.

I guess you didn't read my post. He has a 7th gen, 7th gen requires an interface to get an AUX input, there is no analog input to tap into. The cheapest way is to get an interface. Now the interfaces themselves have their own problems, from my experience and what I've heard the volume is decreased when in AUX as opposed to the radio or CD mode. So in reality the cheapest thing to do in the long run is just sell the stock HU, and get a quality aftermarket HU. As your going to end up wasting money on the interface to only get rid of the stock HU later. No debate to that...

watson540 05-07-2009 02:36 AM

yeah my post was irrelevant when i realized he was an 07

thats the downside of modern tech. its harder to mod.

so you may need an 'interface' but what protocol is it? m-bus, p-bus, h-bus?

pioneer makes HU's for honda now right? in the past these mysteriuos inerfaces have only turned out to be something that complies with whatever company who makes the radio's protocol. which in some cases is as easy as grounding a pin.

I don't think this one would be so easy, but where there is a will, there is a way. no matter what, two of those wires coming out of the changer are going to be audio outs, and all you would have to do is play a blank cd once you spliced into it (if it is even a modular unit).

my point being, even though my previous post is irrelevant it still proves one thing. an interface is NOT required for my radio (or any other radio where someone has enough motive aand knowledge to make it work). Now the makers of PIE HON98AUX or wtf-ever my feel differently about that, but depending on how down and dirty you want to get, there IS a way to tap an aux in WITHOUT an interface. Even if that means getting a schematic and tapping into the radio's input like i did on mine.

So to sum it up. I do agree that spending big money on an aux in when the same amount would get an entry level HU is insane (except for leasers, but even then you reach a point when you return the car, unless you plan on leasing the same year/model it then becomes a huge waste.) . But I DON'T agree that you cant hack an aux in on that radio.

Sorry I'm not trying to argue but I cant see how you couldn't find a way to tap into something in there

Pyro2992 05-18-2009 09:18 AM

I have a '07 Accord and installed the Blitzasafe Hon/Aux Behind my radio myself and put the car back together cost me $80
and i beleive its competly worth it provides you with crystal clear connection to your player.

http://www.andersonelectronics.net/blhodmxvauxi.html

$74.99 There check and see if it will match your car