Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Improving Stock '07 EX-L audio (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/improving-stock-07-ex-l-audio-11274/)

Steerpike 07-26-2007 05:27 PM

Improving Stock '07 EX-L audio

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new car. I'm pretty much down to a choice between the Acura TL and the Accord EX-L V6. I'm currently an Acura Legend LS ('93) owner, and it's pretty much all the car I'd ever want or need, but it's getting too old so needs to be replaced.

My goals are for a smooth, comfortable ride with power in reserve and a good sound system. The TL is very nice, but it's a bit 'stiff' for me, and has a lot of features I just don't need (or want to pay for). The EX-L V6 pretty much hit the spot with seating comfort, and has more than enough power.And I really like the layout of the dash andaudio controls, more than the TL. I've looked at both NAV andnon-NAV, could goeither way there.

The one concern I have is audio. I'm not sure just how good my Legend's stock Bose Premium setup is, but it's exactly right for me. I've added an iPod interface that plugs into the 6-CD changer input, and I'm totally happy with that. The TL had an awesome sound system too - that's the biggest selling feature so far. When I test-drove the EX-L V6, I was not able to really exercise the audio, but it didn't sound 'great', and I've read several reviews that say it's only average.

Given the 'integrated' nature of both the nav and non-nav head units, are there practical options for replacing them without having to get into custom dash adapters (which I want to avoid)? Can I upgrade the back-end amp and speakers, leaving the head unit in place, and get an improvement? I'm willing to spend the money, but I'm not interested in anything that's not close to stock in appearance or requires any serious modifications to the car. I've read about the DICE iPod adapter which lets you display the iPod info on the NAV screen - cool feature. So I just need to know if there is a way to get clean, crisp audio into the EX-L without major trauma. I'm not interested in window-shaking, car-alarm triggering bass - just decent sound along the lines of the old Legend and current TL!

I've read that the Camry has a great sound system, but I don't like the interior appearance of the Camry at all; I've been a honda/acura man for over 20 years and don't want to jump to toyota!

Thanks!

finch13 07-26-2007 05:35 PM

RE: Improving Stock '07 EX-L audio

I'm not sure about this, but it's usually true with all car companies, isn't there a standard audio package and a premium audio package, probably included with the nav system? I just looked at the website says 180 watt premium package. If that still sounds bad just upgrade the speakers to 2-way or 3-ways. The stock system should have enough power to produce decent sound with nice(r) speakers.

HuYnHness 07-26-2007 06:32 PM

agreed i think the stock system in my 04 sounds really nice but still can use a little more refinement so i think you could head down the right path if you replsce your speakers.

Steerpike 07-26-2007 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13

I'm not sure about this, but it's usually true with all car companies, isn't there a standard audio package and a premium audio package, probably included with the nav system? I just looked at the website says 180 watt premium package. If that still sounds bad just upgrade the speakers to 2-way or 3-ways. The stock system should have enough power to produce decent sound with nice(r) speakers.
Did you see, on the website, that the EX-L V6 WITHOUT Nav has a poorer sound system than the same model WITH Nav? It was my impression that both the nav and no-nav versions of the EX-L V6had the same quality system; but I could be wrong.

But anyway, your consensus seems to be that replacing speakers seems to be the best approach, and that sounds logical to me. Thanks.

smaglik 07-26-2007 08:43 PM

my SE has the same system as the EX non navi...stock it pretty good, actually. i am waiting for my replacement speakers though...

Steerpike 07-28-2007 06:25 PM

I took the accord EX-L V6 out for a spin yesterday, and brought some CDs with me, and focused on the sound. At higher volumes, there was definite 'muddiness' or lack of clarity in the mid-to-high range. We're not talking a disaster here, but just not as good as my stock Bose premium in my old Legend.

So I'm definitely eager to hear how the speaker upgrade goes!

The Camry guys called me today, they are theoretically offering $4k off msrp on the camry SE loaded with navi, sunroof, and leather. Apparently the sound system in the new Camrys is very good (per some recent review). I find the Camry's interior very unpleasant, but the SE, with black leather, looks almost tolerable. I still despise that green finish on the audio, still present even on the blacked outSE. Maybe even the handling will be tolerable on the SE version ! :) ... But I don't want to jump to the toyota camp!

edit - here's the audio review, for reference: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...0/pageId=69299

HuYnHness 07-28-2007 06:42 PM

DONT DO IT!!!! dont get stuck driving a TOYota haha im just hating i like my accord and seriously i prolly want very little to do with toyota haha but i do have to admit theyre gettin there

smaglik 07-28-2007 06:46 PM

i think the more subdued styling on the honda will look a ton better 5-10 years down the road...camry is too...loud.

csnut18 07-30-2007 09:26 PM

The stock accord system sucks. It just distorts like any stock system. How could sending 10 watts to a speaker make it sound good? If you have had aftermarket systems like I have you will not like the accords sound.

HuYnHness 07-30-2007 10:42 PM

yes yes we know... thats why im planning on at least amping my speakers tomorrow if im not lazy