Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Installed an aftermarket HU (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/installed-aftermarket-hu-27053/)

elessar78 08-01-2009 12:30 PM

Installed an aftermarket HU

So I installed an aftermarket HU (Pioneer DEH2100) and now the sound in my 03 Honda Accord coupe doesn't seem as robust. Is it because my new HU (Max power output is 50Wx4) isn't as powerful as the stock radio (couldn't find specs on this)? Or is it that I'm playing off of an iPod exclusively now and the MP3 compression just doesn't sound as nice?

I was happy with my factory speakers before, so I don't think that's the issue. If it's a power issue, should I get an amp?

t00fatt 08-01-2009 01:11 PM

Stock HU has a built in EQ to make the stock speakers sound more boomy. Your new HU has a flat signal, which is what you want. Both HU's should have about the same power, maybe the stock has bit more, but it wouldn't be more than a couple watts. The issue is 100% the factory speakers, they are horrible thin plastic cones with a driver the size of a silver dollar. Toss the speakers, and get some new speakers and amp them. If your on a tight budget and looking for the best sound you can get, forget about the rear speakers, and invest the most you can upfront. Without proper adjustments the rear speakers can do damage to your sound quality. What to do really depends a lot on your budget and personal tastes.

Yes you would get better sound from a HU or processor that does the decoding instead of the ipod. But if your playing regular MP3s even with a high bit rate your not going to hear a big difference. You would have to either rip your CDs in apple's lossless format, or download them as FLACs and convert them to apple's lossless format. Even with the ipod doing the decoding you should hear a subtle difference, granted it's an iphone/touch or classic.

elessar78 08-01-2009 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt (Post 179862)
Stock HU has a built in EQ to make the stock speakers sound more boomy. Your new HU has a flat signal, which is what you want. Both HU's should have about the same power, maybe the stock has bit more, but it wouldn't be more than a couple watts. The issue is 100% the factory speakers, they are horrible thin plastic cones with a driver the size of a silver dollar. Toss the speakers, and get some new speakers and amp them. If your on a tight budget and looking for the best sound you can get, forget about the rear speakers, and invest the most you can upfront. Without proper adjustments the rear speakers can do damage to your sound quality. What to do really depends a lot on your budget and personal tastes.

Thanks for the info TF. I can prob afford a decent set of speakers and amp. Just wanted to make sure that was the dealy.

EBK142 08-02-2009 03:04 PM

i got kickers all the way around, Highly recommend them.

t00fatt 08-02-2009 04:06 PM

Kickers two top lines aren't horrible, but their mid level and entry level speakers are pretty much garbage. Every company has it's good and bad divisions. Kicker makes great subs and amps, their speakers are not thought of as highly. Alpine is really one of the only companies that all their divisions are pretty much top notch, from their HU's to their amplifiers.

Every speaker has its own sound, and not everyone has the same tastes. The only right way to pick out a nice pair of speakers is to go and hear them.

elessar78 08-13-2009 11:10 AM

So I installed that HU about 3 weeks ago and today it won't turn on. It worked perfectly up until today. Any ideas on what I should check?

t00fatt 08-14-2009 08:14 PM

I would first check fuses then wiring. I hope you at least used butt connectors, you'd be surprised how many people just twist them together and wrap in electrical tape. If you've got a soldering iron, I would solder and heatshrink them.