Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   iPhone into Accord ICE (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/iphone-into-accord-ice-16986/)

BigSteT 03-19-2008 11:13 AM

iPhone into Accord ICE

Hi,

This is my first post (only had the car a week!) so please don't yell if this information is to be found elsewhere on the forum.

I have a UK '07 Accord - Exec spec with the colour screen nav and 6 CD's in the dash.

I've paired my iPhone up and it's working a treat (mostly) but I'd now like to wire it up so that I can play my music also.

I'm told that I can have a link (Dension) but I will only have playlists showing - no track names and no ability to search other than up and down using the steering wheel controls. Anyone out there know if the head unit has a little more to it than this - is there a kit available to fully connect the iPhone to play/scroll/browse at will?

Thanks in advace.

Steve

jhowkins 03-20-2008 05:46 PM

RE: iPhone into Accord ICE

I would like to think I've researched the snot out of the Accord navigation system, but I'm sure theres someone hided out on the world wide web that has one up on me.

It appears Honda has plans on re-releasing the iPod Music Link sometime this year (possibly before summer). If you are unfamiliar with this accessory, it was made by Honda for most newer model vehicles. Since most every Honda/Acura use the same communications bus for external devices, it was easy enough to make something that would work for every car.

The problem, however, is that the Music Link doesn't have the control over the ipod you are looking for, neither does any 3rd party iPod adapter. The issue seems to be with the software for older model vehicles (like the Accord) not supporting a custom external device fully. You will notice that the iPod link shows up as "CDC" or CD-Changer for short. So the problem appears to be that the iPod adapter makers have to take iPod data and re-encode it to look like CD-Changer data, and then pass the button-presses on the head unit and steering wheel back to the iPod as if they were native iPod commands. The system breaks down when you want to do something the CD-Changer protocol was never designed to do. Until someone figures out how to re-compile the navigation software to support additional auxillery modes like "IPOD" for example, you won't see the type of control you can get with say "Ipod Full Speed" from Alpine Electronics.

Look out for the next version of iPod Music Link from Honda, if anyone has - they might have figured out a way to solve your problems.

BigSteT 03-24-2008 04:15 PM

Now that's what I call a reply! - Many thanks.

I guess I'll goandkeep an eye out for something more sophisticated showing itself.

eman880 03-29-2008 11:40 AM

I'm also new to the forum. I had an 04 TSX but it unfortunately was totaled. I'm coming from a forum called TSXCLUB I'm looking at the 08 accords. In my tsx i had a PA11 – HON USA Spec adapter for my ipod and LOVED IT. it gave me direct connection and control of my ipod through my ipod and the head unit and steering wheel controls. Installation was super easy and I've never had a problem with it. Does anyone know how tough install would be on an 08? If I get XM factory installed would i have to take it out to put the adapter in?