Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Ipod adapter question (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/ipod-adapter-question-40186/)

barticus520 05-19-2011 11:08 AM

Ipod adapter question

Well im goin to install an ipod adapter to my 05 accord ex-l v6 sedan(no navi). My birthday is comin up so im askin my parents for the adapter. My question is which is better? 1. P.I.E HON03-POD/S 2. USA SPEC PA15-HON2

The P.I.E is 180 n the USA is 150 so is there a difference in quality? or just brands. Any help would be apreciated. I will be installin the part myself f.y.i. and was wondering which is easier, to install into the glove box or into the compartment under the radio?

SSharon 05-19-2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by barticus520 (Post 240881)
Well im goin to install an ipod adapter to my 05 accord ex-l v6 sedan(no navi). My birthday is comin up so im askin my parents for the adapter. My question is which is better? 1. P.I.E HON03-POD/S 2. USA SPEC PA15-HON2

The P.I.E is 180 n the USA is 150 so is there a difference in quality? or just brands. Any help would be apreciated. I will be installin the part myself f.y.i. and was wondering which is easier, to install into the glove box or into the compartment under the radio?

I'm going to assume you know more than I do about this, but let me ask how you settled on those two products. I'm looking at doing the same installation for my 2004 Accord and only today learned that the product I had been looking at (upac-hon1) isn't compatible with iOS4 and that I should be looking at the ISHD571 instead. The ISHD571 is about $130 from most retailers online. Do the products you mention have additional features? Am I missing something?

Also, I think compartment under the radio is preferable over the glove box.

Edit: I just noticed your location and wanted to add that I used to fly out of ISP all the time when I lived in long island. Maybe if we both order the part we could meet up and do the installation together (aka you help me out since I don't know what I'm doing).

barticus520 05-19-2011 11:28 AM

dono about the ISHD571 but the two products I listed I got from crutchfield and they will fit and work with my factory system and allow me to charge and control the ipod from the factory system. There where cheaper options but they would only allow playing from the factory system and not charge or control the ipod.

SSharon 05-19-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by barticus520 (Post 240883)
dono about the ISHD571 but the two products I listed I got from crutchfield and they will fit and work with my factory system and allow me to charge and control the ipod from the factory system. There where cheaper options but they would only allow playing from the factory system and not charge or control the ipod.

The crutchfield site isn't clear. Do you know (or care) whether the products you mentioned support iOS4? The ISHD571 looks like it has all the features we both want and is a good price, but I don't want to steer you away from the ones you are looking at.

barticus520 05-19-2011 12:45 PM

well thats why i posted here to find out things like this, so im goin to wait till i know exactly which is best before i get the parts. u might be right though. LOL just saw ur edit about islip airport. thats like 15 min from my house. if your in the area n i have time ill help but ive never taken the honda apart so it will be my first time. i have however take apart my other two cars 2000 dodge intrepid i installed deck n speakers all around n my 2003 taurus i installed speakers and took apart some other parts to replace bulbs. so i could figure it out.

keep_hope_alive 05-19-2011 08:34 PM

You can get instructions for taking your radio out by downloading the manual for a Metra dash kit for your car. Visit metraonline dot com and enter your vehicle info. then select a dash kit and download the instructions.

This should be correct for both your vehicles:
http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...NST99-7864.pdf

keep_hope_alive 05-19-2011 08:37 PM

There are four brands that seem to do the job

Pac-Audio
USA Spec
PIE
GROM

Each one is slightly different, and you'll certainly need to review manuals for compatibility with your iOS version. I will read the owners manual and install manual before I buy a product like this, and if I can't get access online or through tech support, I won't buy that product. It's amazing what a call to tech support for specific product questions can tell you about the company. I'm good, but I don't know the details of every specific product on the market. I can talk lingo with tech support whenever necessary, and i'm proficient at finding information.

i'll help you how i can, and i appreciate you sharing your own findings with us so we all collectively grow. :)

SSharon 05-19-2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive (Post 240926)
I will read the owners manual and install manual before I buy a product like this, and if I can't get access online or through tech support, I won't buy that product. It's amazing what a call to tech support for specific product questions can tell you about the company.

Excellent advice and thanks for the PDF link. I actually called pac-audio today and spoke with someone from tech support without even waiting on hold. I asked about the upac-hon1 and he said it was discontinued in favor of the ISHD571 because only the newer model supports iOS4 (aka all of the most recent ipod touches, iphones, and ipads). The unit is also firmware upgradable, but the rep mentioned that there is sometimes a fee for it which surprised me. Anyway, the site has tons of PDFs and a phone number I can call so they are first on my list so far.

barticus520 05-19-2011 10:13 PM

well then, ill probly go with the ISHD571 too, but thanks the link will help alot with the install.

SSharon 05-19-2011 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by barticus520 (Post 240935)
well then, ill probly go with the ISHD571 too, but thanks the link will help alot with the install.

If you aren't in a rush I'm probably going to spend another couple days to read some reviews and make sure there isn't an even newer product I'm missing and I will report back here.

Have you considered installing a bluetooth unit that streams audio via A2DP instead of a dedicated ipod kit? This way you would have bluetooth for calls and a way to stream audio from an ipod touch or iphone with one device.