Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   JL or Orion sub? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/jl-orion-sub-35802/)

turfer198 10-27-2010 08:43 AM

JL or Orion sub?

Which one? I want to get 1 12" in a ported box for my 2010 accord. Which amp would be a good match also?

ebarrera661 10-27-2010 10:11 AM

JL. I am not sure what kind of amp u would use. What r u trying to get out of it?

keep_hope_alive 10-28-2010 12:59 AM

what's the budget? what are the goals?

JL amps have handy features for integrating with OEM systems. you need a remote turn-on if the amp you buy doesn't have an auto turn-on circuit (JL slash series does).

JL is great, but pricey. Orion seems to be making a come back, but i'm not sure i'd run them in my car.

what is your goal? good music? lots of bass? note that the rear deck 6x9's will distort with a sub in the trunk pressurizing them.

choose the sub you want, then choose voice coils based on the amp power you want and the amp budget you have. dual 4 ohm coils is popular, then you want an amp giving you desired power at 2 ohms. Zapco has some nice amps. Hertz/Audison does as well.

What makes you look to only JL or Orion for a sub? are they sold locally? I like combining amp mfr with the sub mfr since you know R&D has gone into the pairing. A call to the sub mfr tech support can usually get you insight as to the amp they recommend and tested the sub with.

turfer198 10-28-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive (Post 220056)
what's the budget? what are the goals?

JL amps have handy features for integrating with OEM systems. you need a remote turn-on if the amp you buy doesn't have an auto turn-on circuit (JL slash series does).

JL is great, but pricey. Orion seems to be making a come back, but i'm not sure i'd run them in my car.

what is your goal? good music? lots of bass? note that the rear deck 6x9's will distort with a sub in the trunk pressurizing them.

choose the sub you want, then choose voice coils based on the amp power you want and the amp budget you have. dual 4 ohm coils is popular, then you want an amp giving you desired power at 2 ohms. Zapco has some nice amps. Hertz/Audison does as well.

What makes you look to only JL or Orion for a sub? are they sold locally? I like combining amp mfr with the sub mfr since you know R&D has gone into the pairing. A call to the sub mfr tech support can usually get you insight as to the amp they recommend and tested the sub with.

There is no budget, I want to get bass to fill out the stock system on the other hand I want to be able to through down so heavy bass! I am looking at JL and Orion because they sell Orion locally and JL's well I know their rep already. I am looking at the JL H.O Wedge with 1 10W3v3-4 with a JL 500 watt mono amp.

ebarrera661 10-28-2010 10:41 AM

Well, I am going with a 12" kicker, and the same amp u have.

keep_hope_alive 10-28-2010 12:43 PM

The JL HO wedge is a nice enclosure, and I like the W3 sub. A 500/1 is a nice choice. Orion can't compete with that.