Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   My Subs Blew My Rear Speakers (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/my-subs-blew-my-rear-speakers-6672/)

t00fatt 12-26-2006 10:54 PM

My Subs Blew My Rear Speakers

I took my subs out b/c they broke my box. My box prolly had gotten weakened when I totaled my suburban, so a couple weeks of pounding bass finally broke it. So I had to take them out to repair the box while I build a new one. Now with the subs out I can clearly hear my speakers again. My rear speakers seem to be blown. They sound really muffled, and not nearly as loud as they used to be, they aren't producing any bass at all. They don't sound all garbled like speakers I have heard blown. So is it possible for two 15" in a ported box pushing 2000watts to blow or break down the paper cone of the stock rear speakers? I am going to build my new box sealed so I am hoping to lose some of that pounding low bass. My 15"s with the back seat dropped move so much air if I am smoking the smoke moves back and forth an inch. I leave the backseat up most of the time so I think that the bass is what blew the speakers. Is this going to happen to the new speakers I put back there? I am going to get good quality speakers, prolly JL or Infinity. So I hope a non paper cone will be able to take the bass.

poser_pilot6 12-26-2006 11:39 PM

RE: My Subs Blew My Rear Speakers

Dude, Im sorry, but I laughed my ass off at this. If you have so much bass that you are blowing out your speakers, you might think about toning it down just a notch.

I think if you upgrade to higher end speakers, like Infinity, you will probably be okay. Those speakers are a hell of a lot better than stock paper ones.

t00fatt 12-27-2006 01:42 AM

Lol oh I can't do that, I'll build small enclosures for my rears before I turn my bass down or get 12"s. I think its just the super low bass, and the pressure inside the trunk from the air moving in and out of the box. So by going to a sealed box I will reduce the air movement, and the pressure on the speakers. I will be ticked if my subs kill my $200 speakers when I upgrade [sm=headbang.gif]

19Accord97 12-29-2006 02:51 AM

Mine might have the same problem! They sound distorted sometime...I think my subs are a little strong because when you go "ahhhhhhhh" it messes with your voice! oops plus when it hits a deep note and my car is idling, it has to rev up a little...and thats even with a 1.0 farad cap

t00fatt 12-29-2006 04:29 PM

Are your subs in a ported or sealed box? Are you saying they distort the sound when they hit hard, or they blew the speakers?

Oh and my subs do the same lol, the best is to smoke and watch the smoke dance[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

sir_nasty 12-29-2006 06:44 PM

If the subs kill the $200.00 speakers so what... just take them back under warranty *LOL* The cone may have seperated completely from the coil from being pushed out to far when the bass hit... Kind of funny but I never thought of that happening.... I suppose if you ported your rear deck lid that would take some of the stress off them as well, just create two ports in the back corners....

t00fatt 12-29-2006 09:45 PM

Yeah also I could open up the little door behind the middle armrest in the rear seat. I hope with a sealed box the pressure won't be so much it will hurt the speakers. I am going to pop of the grills tomorrow and see how bad they are blown. I'm going to laugh if the cone is completely blown of the coil. I think the paper is just broken down and flexing.

19Accord97 01-02-2007 03:28 PM

Sorry, kind of forgot about this post! But my subs are in a sealed box. To be truthful..I wish I had something less powerful, but I would probably have a hard time selling these subs and getting a new box and all that. I mean, If I have my volume on 18 (the max is 35) so its less than half, and my subs are on 0 (it goes to +10) it will still rattle my car. My little dangly thing from my rearview dances, and if I put the subs all the way up I can't even see out the rearview mirror!

t00fatt 01-02-2007 04:18 PM

I can't even see out my side rear view mirrors. My speedometer needle vibrates up and down when I'm stopped. Is it bad if the rear deck is vibrating like half an inch up and down all the way around. What holds it down? Clips or Bolts?

sir_nasty 01-02-2007 04:24 PM

my goodness man! you're rattling it that much???? seriously, isn't that enough bass? turn it down or something.... I've had/heard loud systems before but you've got to get some semblance of balance to it....