Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New Radio won't work after ECU got replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if this will help......

Attached Thumbnails New Radio won't work after ECU got replaced.-4th-gen-radio.jpg  
Old 07-21-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Not sure if this will help......
Thanks! That is exactly what I needed. It looks like I was testing the ignition wire which is why I got 00.1 mv. When I checked the power wire, I was getting 9 volts. I guess that would be enough for the factory radio but not the new Kenwood.

Any ideas on why I'm only getting 9 volts instead of 12?

Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

one common reason for measuring low voltage is poor grounding. voltage is relative, and with increased ground resistance, you will measure lower voltage.

the ignition wire should have 12V when the car is on. if that also measures 9 volts then you have a grounding issue.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
one common reason for measuring low voltage is poor grounding. voltage is relative, and with increased ground resistance, you will measure lower voltage.

the ignition wire should have 12V when the car is on. if that also measures 9 volts then you have a grounding issue.
I'm getting 9.7 volts on the power and 14 volts on the ignition. This seems weird to me, hopefully it will mean something to someone on here.

I've been trying to find grounds to check, there is an ECU ground that is supposed to connect to the engine block around the upper radiator hose. I cannot find this ground, does anyone know its location on a 93 Accord LX? Would this ground affect the radio/clock?

Again, thanks for any help!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Where are you measuring the voltage? where is the black DMM lead? you say that the WHT/YEL has 9V? If so, I would suspect a bad 7.5A fuse/connection.

If you disconnect the Kenwood, does the voltage on WHT/YEL increase to 14V also?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 PM

Where are you measuring the voltage? where is the black DMM lead? you say that the WHT/YEL has 9V? If so, I would suspect a bad 7.5A fuse/connection.

If you disconnect the Kenwood, does the voltage on WHT/YEL increase to 14V also?

I'm measuring the voltage at the radio plug, with no radio attached. The black DMM lead is on the black (negative?) wire. I've checked both the fuse under the dash and the backup fuse under the hood. Neither is blown, can the fuse be no good and still look ok? The factory radio still works, so I'm assuming the fuses are good.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

wow. there is no reason you should measure 9.7VDC on that wire (with the plug disconnected) unless there is a problem up-stream. like a bad connection at the fuse box.

bypass that wire - assume it is bad. pull that fuse. run a new wire from the battery to your HU, with an inline fuse at the battery. 12AWG wire with a 20A fuse is sufficient.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:30 PM

wow. there is no reason you should measure 9.7VDC on that wire (with the plug disconnected) unless there is a problem up-stream. like a bad connection at the fuse box.

bypass that wire - assume it is bad. pull that fuse. run a new wire from the battery to your HU, with an inline fuse at the battery. 12AWG wire with a 20A fuse is sufficient.
What is my HU? Which terminal do I run the wire from?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

HU = head unit = radio.

from the new radio's yellow (battery) wire to the battery.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Or as an alternative to running a new wire directly from the battery, you can use an "Add-a-circuit" to plug into an unused slot in the driver's side fuse box to power the radio.

http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Da...FHM02FHA02.pdf

Quick Reply: New Radio won't work after ECU got replaced.