Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Newb to audio systems (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/newb-audio-systems-5981/)

leg_of_tape 11-17-2006 01:04 AM

Newb to audio systems

Hey everyone, I'm new to setting up audio systems in cars and wanted to ask a few questions. I have a 92 4dr accord ex, and just recently got a new HU for it, since the original factory HU never worked because as oon as I got the car, the battery died and the previous owner couldn't find the damn anti-theft security codes :p.

Anyway, since I got sick of not having any music, I got a new HU, an Eclipse, and now I've sparked my own interest in fully redoing the entire sound system. Problem is, I have no idea of what works and what's absolute crap! I definitely want to get at least one sub (I like the sound of dual 12's though :) ) and new speakers all around, even though the stock ones don't sound that bad. What I'm looking for out of it is something that will sound great without blowing the trunk apart, so if anyone could help me out and point me in the right direction that'd be great! One of my friends suggested Lanzar equipment, can anyone qualify this? Thanks!

19Accord97 11-17-2006 01:25 AM

RE: Newb to audio systems

Well first, welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you! Really...the only limiting factor audio wise is money. Perosnally I think my $20 roadmaster 3 way speakers in the rear are ok w/ stock door speakers. Check out my sub set-up in the gallery and leave a comment if you please! If you dont want the trunk blowing apart then 2 12's will most likely not be for you. Mine shakes my rearview mirror so bad thats its hard to see whats behind me. I would say to either get a single 10' or 12' inch with alot of RMS capability. An amp can also have the option of bass boost like mine which makes the system head rattling! haha Anyways, alot of people like Alpine, Pioneer, Infinity, and Kicker speaker wise. Good luck. Oh and does your new hu have pre outs for a sub?

TheBackRoads 11-17-2006 04:02 AM

oh yea dude!!!!! ECLIPSE IS THE WAY TO GO! CD3000 i take it? mannnn good choice. ok im done. I have Infinty's in all 4 doors in my Jeep, with the Eclipse CD3000 and man, let me say thats one sweet ass combo. I'd say do Infinity's all around, and then one 12, Kicker Comp VR or a JL maybe. Anyway, dude any questions on what to get, let me know, im here to help.

:D

leg_of_tape 11-17-2006 06:36 PM

Yo thanks for the feedback.....Yeah, the HU has outs for a sub....it's an Eclipse CD 3404, bout 2 years old that my house mate's letting me borrow until I get something else. What do you mean by lots of RMS, like what range are we looking at? Someone recommended one 15" as opposed to 2x10's or 12's, any comment on that or is that more of a personal preferance? What about an amp, how much wattage should I be looking at? Over 500, preferably over 1000?

TheBackRoads 11-17-2006 07:29 PM

well........ its really all opnion, 10's are quicker, but dont play very low notes, 12's alittle slower, but play deeper, 15's go the deepest, but are slower, so will probably miss some double bass notes if your into that. Its really all opnion. i mean you can get a single 12 that will do 500 watts RMS... Just depeneds on what you get and what you like, there is really no one RIGHT sub.

t00fatt 11-18-2006 03:38 AM

I listen to rap, so I had two 15s in my suburban. They hit the lows so hard your teeth would rattle, but the higher bass it wouldn't hit it that hard. Bass wise it is all what you want. I am going to put my 15s in my accord, then put some 10s some where in the interior.

poser_pilot6 11-18-2006 11:33 AM

When it comes to subs, it depends on what music you listen to, and what you want your bass to sound like. I listen to pretty much anything, so I have a 10" Kicker Comp VR with a 360 watt Rockford Fosgate amp. It hits hard, and sounds clean. I can turn up the bass with my head unit, and it rattles my whole car. You dont need a ton of watts to get good bass. What you really should do is only buy quality stuff. Kicker, Infinity, JL Audio, and Polk all make good subs. Alpine Type-R isnt too bad either. You just dont want to put money into stuff thats going to blow out or break. I've been running my current amp/sub setup for about four years now. I had a Sony Xplode sub in there before the Kicker, and it did as its name suggests. Amplifiers, Im personally a big fan of Rockford, Kicker, or Alpine. How much are you looking to spend on a system?

19Accord97 11-18-2006 03:41 PM

If you dont have a big budget I would suggest Volfenhag. They hit hard and are pretty cheap compared to other subs. I've got two of these http://www.americancaraudio.com/prod...&PID=ZX4712DVX
but you can find them even cheaper. They'll rattle your mirrors too.

leg_of_tape 11-18-2006 09:05 PM

Thanks everyone...poser, I don't want to spend a huge deal of money on a system, not now at least, so I guess I'm looking at up to the $600 mark. I too listen to everything, but I really like to turn it up when a good rap beat's going. I'll also listen to metal, which has alot of the double beats that were mentioned above, so if possible should I be looking into maybe a larger sub for the really deep stuff, paired up with a smaller sub to accomodate the higher and faster beats? toofatt how can you mount a sub inside of your car? 19Accord97, are those german manufactured subs? They look pretty pimp in your car, btw.

t00fatt 11-18-2006 10:18 PM

For cheap price and quality, I recommend kicker thats what I have. I have been pushing my 15" CVRs hard at the max RMS thats recommended for about a year and a half now. They have a thick ribbed rubber surround, which is glued and stitched to the cone, the cone looks like aluminum but I thinks its some plastic composite. I wouldn't go for a 15" in an accord, I am worried mine are going to hit too hard. I only got 15"s b/c I used to have a suburban. As for adding 10"s to the interior, I am thinking of installing one quality 10" with a good amount of RMS capability, in the rear in between the two rear speakers. I want to get some feedback form these guys, if it would even make a difference, with two 15"s going, before I do it.

EDIT: BTW I got my kickers for $100 each on sale from Ike Sound, so they may have something good on sale there.