Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   A newbie question... (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/newbie-question-13066/)

Gingi 10-08-2007 08:29 AM

A newbie question...

Hi there guys.
I just got a used 2004 Honda accord, LX coupe.
The only problem I saw while changing the car at the dealership was that the contrast of the stereo screen was too low.
Driving at night, I've noticed that all the light on the right pannel (gear box, audio, AC) don't work (i.e I can't see if the AC works or what CD is playing)
The dealer said it's a matter of a simple fuse and if I can't solve it myself - I should go to a local Honda dealership (he was not one of them).
Bottom line - my question is - is that problem sound familiar ? Do these things happen ? Does someone of have an experience dealing with that?
Thanks
Gingi

falkore24 10-08-2007 08:39 AM

RE: A newbie question...

I'm sure that it is not a very common problem, but since they will take care of it, I'd let them deal with it rather than concerning yourself about the problem. There is always a chance that electrical problems can be more than they appear. They should have fixed it before you left the dealership.

My advice is to not touch anything and let the dealership that you bought the car from be responsible and liable for the repair.

00AccordLX5spd 10-08-2007 08:40 AM

It sounds like it could be either a fuse or the bulb has burned out. Check the fuses in the fuse box within the car (I am not sure where it is on that model as I do not own one of that generation. But I would imagine there is one on the driver's side down on the lower left under the dash, and possibly another on the passenger side as well.) If one is burned out, it should be discolored. there should also be a diagram in the owner's manual showing which fuse is which.
If a bulb is out, I imagine it will require removal of the dash. But check the fuses first.

00AccordLX5spd 10-08-2007 08:44 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

My advice is to not touch anything and let the dealership that you bought the car from be responsible and liable for the repair.

I believe the poster was saying that the used car dealer they bought the car fromwas not a Honda dealer. That dealer toldthem if they cannot fix themself, they should take it to a Honda dealer. Meaning the poster wouldhave to pay$ fora Hondadealer to fix.That is why the poster is asking us for advice;)To avoid paying a Honda dealer to fix somethingthat may be easy to DIY.

falkore24 10-08-2007 08:44 AM

00, I'm almost positive that you are right, but the car was purchased yesterday! I wouldn't touch it!

Gingi 10-08-2007 09:31 AM

00AccordLX5spd - you are 100% right - and thank you all for answering my questions.
I got the car in a used cars places, (could not afford walking into a Hinda place and buy it). It was the single problem in the car, (I took them $1000 in price) and they told me they are not ALLOWED to touch it , and mostly likely the part(s) required for fixing it is still under warranty (2004 / 40K miles). so... I called my local Honda but they are closed today (Columbus day.)
I guess I should call them and see if the warranty is affective... don't you guys think ?

falkore24 10-08-2007 09:38 AM

OK ..... seems strange that they are not allowed to check a fuse, but ok. In this case, I'd have Honda look at the problem and tell you what they think is the cause. Then you have more info to base your decision on for how to fix the problem. Also, they can tell you if there would be a charge for them to fix it. Regardless, I wouldn't touch a car that was bought yesterday (liability).

00AccordLX5spd 10-08-2007 09:48 AM

OK. So call the Honda dealer and see if it is still under warranty (Do this first.) If so, take it to them and they should repair for free. If not, see if you can bring it in and how much $ for diagnosis. If they say something crazy like $50, come back here. Wemay be able to save you some $ you may not need to spend.

MacLeod 10-08-2007 07:39 PM

This is a common problem with late model Accords. I think its under recall so the dealer should take care of it.

Gingi 10-09-2007 06:13 PM

GUYS - firstly - thanks !!! it's an awesome place to be !!
So I called the dealership - their answer - bring the car, pay $60, we'll take a look and will diagnose the car for you.
I'm following your advice and ask for help -maybe it is just a tiny little thing that can be fixed?
The problem again -
The contrast of the stereo system is very low - I can see the digits - but barely -
also, at night the right front panel (i,e, the A.C adjuster, and the rest) are not lighted...

I'm not really that skillful when it comes to fix things like that and also I don't want to damage something else, so if
you give a solution, please be precise as for what I need to do !!

Thanks !!!!!!

gingi