Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Order of Upgrading (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/order-upgrading-8220/)

Kyle 03-16-2007 03:15 PM

Order of Upgrading

For the audio aspect of my car what would be the suggested order of upgrading. I assume getting a new head unit will be first and then amp,sub,speakers. Would it be easier to buy as much as i can at the same time or doesnt matter. Im looking to buy a new head unit because the oem one doesnt play mp3 cds and no iPod.

Thanks in advance

sir_nasty 03-16-2007 04:19 PM

RE: Order of Upgrading

I'd start by getting a good head unit, then decide if you want one 4 channel amp to run all the speakers, or if you want seperate amps, or just use the deck to push them, if you are planning on just using the deck to push your speakers then the next step is to decide if you want good sound or bass first. If you want bass then buy an amp and a sub/box (or buy this one piece at a time) and hook it up.... basically it all comes down to what you want and what the desired end result is....

MacLeod 03-17-2007 01:56 AM

RE: Order of Upgrading

Speakers are the most important part of your system and this is the area you should do the most research.

Go to some local shops and listen to the speaker lines they carry and see which ones you like best. Each speaker sounds a little different. Diamond Audio are natural and detailed but lack midbass. Focal are midbass heavy but bright. Infinity are very bright and thin sounding......etc.

After you find the speakers you like, get them. You can run them off the factory head unit for now and theyll be fine although they wont sound their best.

Next should be the head unit. Im an Alpine man myself but honestly, all the major names like Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer, Eclipse and JVC all make very good quality HU's. You should shop around and find the one that looks best to you, has the most features and fits within your budget. Key things to look for are high voltage preouts and at least 3 sets with at least 4 volts. Youll want a sub fader and as extensive an EQ as possible. Graphic EQ's are better than parametric EQ's. Crossovers and time alignment are very usefull tools but not necessary unless youre a tuning freak and/or are going to be competing in audio competitions.

Next will be the front stage amp. This one is easy. Find one that best matches the power ratings of your speakers. Look to the major names like Rockford Fosgate, MTX, Kicker and youll be fine. All these are excellent quality amps.

Now on to the sub. If you decide you want one, youll have to decide how much you want. If you just want some bottom end, then no less than a single 10" will be ok. If youre wanting to have major bass then a pair of 12's are best. 15's will be louder but 12's will be tighter and cleaner sounding.

As with the speakers, find the amp that best matches the subs power ratings.