Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Pioneer TS-D901P 6x9? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/pioneer-ts-d901p-6x9-8814/)

malwa 04-09-2007 07:36 PM

Pioneer TS-D901P 6x9?

Hey I'm new to the forum but I have quick question I ordered Pioneer TS-D901P 6x9 speakers from ebay and was wondering wether they would make a significant or any improvement on a stock system in a 1999 Honda Accord Sedan with the Stock Tape casseste head unit and stock speakers all around. I will be replacing the 6x9's over the trunk with the new speakers, which currently run 30 Watts Nom, whereas the new ones will be 80Watts Nom. Will this improve the loudness/sound quality will the bass hit harder or louder, or do I need an amp or new head unit? If I need a new head unit any reccomendation for some one on a very small budget (ie around $100)? Thanks in advance for any replies.

RTexasF 04-10-2007 11:51 AM

RE: Pioneer TS-D901P 6x9?

Almost always aftermarket speakers sound better than factory supplied. An exception would be if they were extremely inefficient and needed gobs of power to drive them properly. The wattage you quoted simply means that they are capable of receiving 80 watts consistantlywith minimal distortion whereas the factory jobs would crater ifsupplied 80 watts. The Pioneer's sensitivity is 92db so they should sound very good even with low to moderate power.

I don't have any recommendation for a head unit. You might consider saving up a little more moola for a nicer one down the road. Are you replacing the front speakers also?

03Sleeper 04-10-2007 07:54 PM

Almost always aftermarket speakers sound better than factory supplied.
Right on the money.

malwa 04-10-2007 10:14 PM

Thank you for the replies and new info. No I am not going to be repacing any other speakers, just the 6x9's on the rear deck since I can install them myself. I may hopefully get a head unit, looking into cheap pioneers and kenwoods. Any other suggestions for cheap but good head units would be helpful. Once again thanks for all the help!

03Sleeper 04-10-2007 10:53 PM

Blapunkt (spelling...) has quality speakers for a lower price. Of course, the shining standard is Alpine...but you can find several of their products to be surprisingly affordable.

MacLeod 04-10-2007 10:54 PM

Youll notice some difference but not a lot so long as you use the stock head unit. That things making about 7 watts per channel which isnt enough to power any decent speaker. You may even notice a DECREASE in bass response.

I highly recommend getting an amp. This will do more to improve your SQ than anything else. In fact, youd get better SQ with an amp and factory speakers than with new speakers and factory head unit.

malwa 04-10-2007 11:25 PM

I already purchased the 6x9 speakers, so would buying a new head unit be a wiser investment versus an amp at this point?

03Sleeper 04-10-2007 11:42 PM

EDIT- Actually.....you might want to get a head unit first...then the amp.

MacLeod 04-11-2007 01:17 AM

Not necessarily.

An aftermarket head unit would be the best thing to have with an amp, but if you can only choose one, Id pick the amp.

Most amps nowadays accept speaker level inputs so you really dont need an aftermarket HU to work. You may have a little lowe noise floor (i.e. hiss) but unless youre competing it wouldnt be a huge deal and you can always buy a line driver later on that would fix that.

However, if you can afford both, Id get a good aftermarket head unit and an amp.

Youll also want to replace the front speakers too. Those are the ones youll be hearing the most out of and youd be much better off with a good set of speakers down there.

97AccordSe 04-11-2007 04:23 AM

I have a stock unit in my '97 and was wondering if it came with rca outs so I can install an amp I had in my pervious syetem - a '92 Civic?