Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP!!! Car won't start... (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/please-help-car-wont-start-44674/)

Bcarte19 12-27-2011 07:51 PM

PLEASE HELP!!! Car won't start...

Hey. So I have a manual 2000 Accord coupe 4 cyl EX. I was attempting to install a Kenwood amp and dual sub set in my car today with a factory head unit. I disconnected the battery, installed the fuse port (without the fuse connected) on the power wire, ran the power wire from the battery through the firewall to the trunk, connected the ground wire to a sanded piece of the chassis, and ran the remote wire to the starter signal (i believe) fuse on the driver side fuse panel. From there i hooked the battery back up and when i went to put the power wire fuse in, the fuse sparked. I stopped, disconnected the negative charge on the battery, put the fuse in, and connected the battery. Then sat in the car and tried to turn it on, but the car wouldn't start.

The car goes through the first two ignition phases fine. When you turn the key to the second click, the lights, A/C, windows, etc. works fine, but when you go to turn the car on it's completely quiet.

I assumed i popped on of the fuses when it sparked, but I've checked all the fuses in both the fuse box under the hood, and the right and left interior boxes multiple times, and completely disconnected the power and remote wire from the battery. Is there some secondary ignition fuse I'm missing?? I'm completely lost and my car is dead in the water. Sorry this is so long, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

keep_hope_alive 12-27-2011 09:23 PM

Common issue #1: Battery terminal is loose or corroded. Not enough contact area to start but enough for accessories. Clean and tighten the terminals. Pics of your battery wiring will help. How did you add the power wire?

Common issue #2: you accidentally disconnected a sensor used to ensure the car is safe to start, like a neutral safety switch or brake switch.

Buy a LOC like this:
N-RHL2 - BEST LOC IN THE WORLD!! - $24.95 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
So you get a proper turn-on signal not from the dash. Also allows you to tap the front speaker wires behind the HU so you can fade to front (it is preferred to have more music in front of you). Add an aftermarket HU when you can for much improved sound overall.

Bcarte19 12-27-2011 10:13 PM

Thanks man!
I'll take pictures of the battery terminal in the morning. How would i check if i disconnected a sensor?

keep_hope_alive 12-28-2011 12:40 AM

look for something not connected. :)
i'd start around the brake pedal - you ran wiring through that area and your arm could have knocked something loose. just try to secure every connector in the area.

you could study a shop manual to determine locations of starter interrupt switches. i think battery terminals are your #1.

Bcarte19 12-28-2011 10:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 6223

Attachment 6224

Attachment 6225

Hey. Here are the terminals. I cleaned them off and examined them, but couldn't find any sign of corrosion. I'll look up locations for the starter interrupter switches, but it's not looking good :-/

Bcarte19 12-28-2011 12:51 PM

So I read around on some other forums about having a bad battery and checking it by jumping it. I just tried that...unsuccessfully. I hooked the jumper cables up and still nothing.

I'm going to go check the fuses...again. I'm kind of running out of things it could be. I also looked online this morning for shop manuals, and short of buying them, i didn't have much luck. Do you have anymore ideas?

I'm also going to try and popping the clutch from a push start and see if i can get it started that way, just to try and eliminate what the problem is...

neophyte 12-28-2011 02:08 PM

when you are checking the fuses are you just visually looking at them or are you checking them with a meter?

what I am thinking is that you connected the remote to the ignition fuse and blew that fuse. if you arent going to pull your head unit to connect the remote then what you need to do is either as kha said get a loc with an auto on or (less desirably) connect the remote to the accessory fuse.

keep_hope_alive 12-28-2011 10:00 PM

i test fuses with them in place by using my DMM to measure voltage on both tabs. you'll notice the metal tabs visible on top of the fuse - those are measurement points.

Bcarte19 12-30-2011 02:17 AM

...blew the interior fuse box panel assembly. $470 to replace. F**k!

crispin 12-30-2011 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bcarte19 (Post 265210)
...blew the interior fuse box panel assembly. $470 to replace. F**k!

How would that have happened?

That does not make sense as you said everything works except the car does not start.

What tests were done to come to that conclusion?