Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Problem with road noise? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/problem-road-noise-47257/)

Tyler Joyce 05-03-2012 11:41 AM

Problem with road noise?

Hey guys,

Sorry I havent been posting alot, school is kicking my ass!

So when im driving at highway speeds, sometimes I get pretty bad road noise from my speakers. I listen to my music LOUD. My guess is the static electricity from the tire is affecting the wiring running through my car because they have a high current flow through them at high volumes. Is this correct? And is there a way to fix it? Like would changing the wiring out with that wiring I showed you in my previous thread help that?

Also, wanted your opinions. Im looking at getting some 6x9s in my rear deck. I want something under 100$ thats atleast decent quality. I know its not much of a budget, but I blame the gas prices. I would like 3 way and definetly NOT coaxil. Crutchfeild has some pretty good deals but just wanted to get some other opinions on this.

Im kinda interested in these, just because I love rockford products and they are a great price

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R169...693.html?tp=91

keep_hope_alive 05-03-2012 12:09 PM

yes, there is some static electricity generate in the tires, but with proper battery/body grounding, it should never cause an issue, nor cause inductive noise in the wire. what make/model head unit?

the fuel pump, on the other hand, is known to cause noise in systems where RCA's are located close to the pump.

but you just have a head unit, no amp so no RCA's.

those 6x9's are good for the price, not many are below $100.

crispin 05-03-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler Joyce (Post 279799)
Hey guys,

Sorry I havent been posting alot, school is kicking my ass!

So when im driving at highway speeds, sometimes I get pretty bad road noise from my speakers. I listen to my music LOUD. My guess is the static electricity from the tire is affecting the wiring running through my car because they have a high current flow through them at high volumes. Is this correct? And is there a way to fix it? Like would changing the wiring out with that wiring I showed you in my previous thread help that?

Also, wanted your opinions. Im looking at getting some 6x9s in my rear deck. I want something under 100$ thats atleast decent quality. I know its not much of a budget, but I blame the gas prices. I would like 3 way and definetly NOT coaxil. Crutchfeild has some pretty good deals but just wanted to get some other opinions on this.

Im kinda interested in these, just because I love rockford products and they are a great price

Rockford Fosgate Prime R1693 6" x 9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Tyler I think you are really over thinking things. You are not getting static electricity from your tires into your wires.

If I remember you correctly you are running a factory system. What you are getting is electrical noise being amplified through a cheap and old amplifier (your factory radio) What you really should do is buy a new head unit. Right now sonicexpress is selling a double din Eclipse headunit with USB inputs and an iPod cable with the wire harness and installation kit for $99 shipped.

I highly recommend you buy that. I recently installed one in a 2011 Ford Escape it is had better sound quality than the factory unit did and I am sure that the headunit in the Escape was much better then the one in your car right now.

3 way any kind of speaker is a gimmick that I wish ended back when they came out in the late 70's. 3 way and esp 4 way units always have lower sound quality then a decent 2 way speaker.

Just buy this headunit and see how much better your whole system sounds

Eclipse CD1200G+IPC-009 (cd1200g_ipc009) Double DIN CD/MP3 Car

You may have never heard of Eclipse, well it is a super high end company that no longer makes anything for our market.

Also based on your budget and some other things here is a deal you should not pass up. These are decent speakers for your rear deck they are $16 shipped to you. While you are buying that headunit from sonicexpress (which you really should do it will make a huge difference for you) also buy some 6 1/2" to 6x9 plate adapters. That is unless you have a jig saw then just make your own.

Sony XS-GTF1627 6.5" 2-Way 190 Watts Car Speakers Pair - Walmart.com

Less then $120 you have a MUCH MUCH better setup than you currently have.

Your welcome.

keep_hope_alive 05-03-2012 12:17 PM

good point - if he is using the factory external amplifier then that could easily be the source of noise. if you have a factory HU, then replacing that and bypassing any factory amplification should be step one.

that is a nice Eclipse HU for the money that Crispin linked.

i personally dislike Sony speakers, but that's just me. :P you could visit a salvage yard and get a pair for less than $15 if you look around.

crispin 05-03-2012 12:18 PM

I just noticed that the Sony speakers are sold out, they were selling them for $15 plus $.75 shipping to your house.

No worries as there are some great deals over at Parts Express in the Clearance Area.

Tyler Joyce 05-03-2012 12:25 PM

Geez you guys posted fast, couldnt even clear things up! Right now, none of my system is factory. Sorry, should have mentioned that..

My head unit is a JVC KD-S48
Bazooka 350W amp going to a 10" sub that I just got finished setting up last weeked. Properly powered and grounded with 6 gauge wire that could power a hot tub. Ground goes to the body and its about 2 inches long. My amp is right under my driver seat.

Powerbass speakers in the back and soon to be changed scosch crap speakers in my doors.

What do you think about these?

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1692 6"x9" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Tyler Joyce 05-03-2012 12:30 PM

Just to let you know, I hate sony with a passion. Ive seen to many of my friends get all excited about sony xplod crap and it sounds like poop with wires in it. Slowly but surely im planning on building up a pretty decent system. Right now its just a system I can blast with some bass. Im definetly a bass head and im going to pick up a second 10" sub and a 2ch amp. Both with be in sealed boxes, 1 1/8" plywood, glued, screwed, and sealed with non drying caulk so it wont ever crack. Thats how the current sub I have is built

crispin 05-03-2012 12:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Then if you have noise in your system you have an instillation issue.
You say 6 gauge wire than could power a HotTub. Does that mean you are not using automotive grade wire for you power to your amp?

I like bass too, but I also like much more a very clear and very loud front stage.

Here is my small setup

Pioneer Avic-Z2 Headunit, DVD, Navigation, On board harddrive that rips any cd you play and stores them as MP3's
I also run a volt meter keep an eye on my electrical which includes a High Output alternator
Attachment 18374

Here is my trunk, while I do not prefer this type of setup (whole trunk used up) but I was going for real real loud

That is a 1,500 watt Rockford amp on the subs and MB Quart 200 RMS x 2 running the Old School MB Quart QSD's in well sealed and deadened front doors.

Attachment 18375

Big 3 was done along with an ELD bypass (thank you K_H_A)

You are not the only one here that likes a good system Tyler.

Tyler Joyce 05-03-2012 01:10 PM

Yea ive seen your system around, its pretty nice crispin im jealous! The wire im using to power the amp is for home installation stuff. I guess I should have told you about the noise in a little more detail. Its not like a fuzz noise you get from turning a system up that isnt grounded properly. Keep in mind this noise happened way before I even put that amp in.

What happens is after driving on the highway for a while with the stereo up pretty loud (not maxed out. I never max out my system and never will.) it just starts distorting randomly. How I fix it is I come up to a stop light, turn it down, and then back up and its fine. Thats why I thought it was a static problem because I figured all the static built up was just released by the braking.

I do still need to do a big 3 and that is in the near future. That big bare ground corroded copper wire in my engine bay is just nasty looking. Bugs me every time I look at it.

Also, ELD bypass? Explain?

Being a music producer, I too am a sucker for GOOD sounding systems as opposed to big boomy bassy systems. I like hard hitting tight bass. Hence, the sealed box.

crispin 05-03-2012 01:38 PM

K_H_A did a big write up on the ELD.
Honda (and many other manufacturers) turn off the alternator when it thinks it does not need to be on in order to squeak out a bit more MPG's.
Shoving an 820 OHM resistor in the ELD sensor fools it into staying on all the time.

I used to be a sealed box fan, until I heard what real ported boxes sound like. Those pre-fab ported boxes are nothing like a custom designed one.

My box was built by DC Customs to the specs of my subwoofers and tuned to 30 HZ. It kills anything sealed.

Have you read through K_H_A's build thread yet, he has done an amazing job.