Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Question about how to repurpose Cruise Control switch? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/question-about-how-repurpose-cruise-control-switch-59209/)

kalebjohns 05-29-2014 11:44 PM

Question about how to repurpose Cruise Control switch?

Hey all, first post, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I have a 2000 Accord LX 4 door with a completely custom sound system, and it's gotten me in trouble a few times already. I was asked to add a kill-switch for my sub amp, but I don't want anything obtrusive or anything that looks out of the ordinary, especially anything that involves cutting holes. My car doesn't come with traction control standard, but I have a spare switch with buttons for both TCS and Cruise Control. This part came from a 2001 Honda Accord EX.

I'm curious if I can somehow incorporate this piece in my car rather than the original one-button cruise control switch, be able to enable/disable the remote line to my amp, AND still be able to use my cruise control.

My other issue is that I can't seem to find out is whether or not the plastic plug for my cruise control will fit in the slot on this TCS/CC switch. Wiring my remote line to this should be a fairly simple task; correct me if I'm wrong..

Thanks for any feedback, I'm really curious about this project.. Kind of excited, too! :D

*IMAGES OF TCS/CC UNIT - IMAGES FOUND ON GOOGLE*
Image 1 - Front - http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/wesAAOxy0bRTAokE/$_57.JPG

Image 2 - Side/Wiring - http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/rmsAAMXQC-tTAokL/$_57.JPG

keep_hope_alive 05-30-2014 07:14 AM

depends on the make/model of the head unit. you use the PAC-Audio SWI-X or similar SWI- model steering wheel control interface that is compatible with your head unit. Then you can Mute at the press of a button. It beats driving around with your finger on the mute button on a remote :)

The radio and cruise control buttons are not switches as you would normally have, but instead they are a network of resistances that the car interprets as voltage drop. if you try to wire anything through them, they will burn up.

The TCS button may be an actual switch. you'd have to use a DMM to measure resistance with the contacts closed.

redbull-1 05-30-2014 09:25 PM

The cruise control/TCS switch only came on the 01-02 V6. The harness connector for the 01-02 V6 CC/TCS switch is an 8P connector vs a 5P connector on your cruise control main switch on your dash.

However, the wires are similar; but, in different pin number cavities of the respective connectors. The only difference is an additional Orn/Wht wire for the ABS/TCS.

For the 01-02 CC/TCS switch, there are two switches. Power from Under-dash Fuse No. 6 through the Blk/Yel wire feeds both respective CC and TCS switches.

You can rewire and connect the wires from your car's cruise control main switch to the CC/TCS switch. The issue will be trying to use the TCS switch to enable/disable the remote line to your amp, as the Blk/Yel wire runs power to both switches contacts. I would say it is easier to just use a separate switch altogether.

kalebjohns 05-31-2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive (Post 346192)
depends on the make/model of the head unit. you use the PAC-Audio SWI-X or similar SWI- model steering wheel control interface that is compatible with your head unit.

I have a Kenwood KDC-355U, which is more than likely compatible, but I have no factory steering wheel control.. Unless I can somehow add it in later.

The radio and cruise control buttons are not switches as you would normally have, but instead they are a network of resistances that the car interprets as voltage drop. if you try to wire anything through them, they will burn up.

So you're saying that if I had the steering wheel controls, they would end up frying? Or anything attached, like the radio or amp?

The TCS button may be an actual switch. you'd have to use a DMM to measure resistance with the contacts closed.

I'll try and dig out my multimeter and get back to you guys if I find anything interesting.

kalebjohns 05-31-2014 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1 (Post 346223)
The cruise control/TCS switch only came on the 01-02 V6. The harness connector for the 01-02 V6 CC/TCS switch is an 8P connector vs a 5P connector on your cruise control main switch on your dash.

However, the wires are similar; but, in different pin number cavities of the respective connectors. The only difference is an additional Orn/Wht wire for the ABS/TCS.

For the 01-02 CC/TCS switch, there are two switches. Power from Under-dash Fuse No. 6 through the Blk/Yel wire feeds both respective CC and TCS switches.

You can rewire and connect the wires from your car's cruise control main switch to the CC/TCS switch. The issue will be trying to use the TCS switch to enable/disable the remote line to your amp, as the Blk/Yel wire runs power to both switches contacts. I would say it is easier to just use a separate switch altogether.

Thanks for the input! This is all very useful information, lots of detail. :D