Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

When you didn't buy it with GPS

Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Default When you didn't buy it with GPS

I am in a waiting status for the 2013 Honda Accord LX shop/service manual.

Without this book I don't want to remove here install there new features, so while I keep waiting, I found a cheap solution for the lack of GPS in my vehicle.

After studying the several options as replacing the current rear view mirror by those GPS/backup cameras/mirrors, or perhaps removing the door under the AC/heat controls and install a 1 DIN GPS/Radio/CD/Bluetooth, etc... I still rejecting those ugly looking GPS devices hanging on windshields.

I took the measurements of "the cave" where the radio is located and compared it with the size of those 7" GPS/phone devices.

They fit! Yes, they fit when you push them inside enough to stand still.

So, as this is a temporary measurement, I went to eBay and bought me on 7" screen GPS device for less than 70 bucks. It comes with iGO maps that are assumed to be capable for updating. Perhaps yes, perhaps no, the point is that this device is HUGE, and I have installed a micro SD card with two movies, in case I travel a long route going out of my State.

Well, the battery of the device apparently last 2 hours, something great because a Magellan 7" GPS -as an example- only last 30 minutes. But this is not an issue, because it can be charged while the GPS still functional, with the Magellan and with this unbranded Chinese device.

The GPS signal works even inside tunnels and concrete covered parking lots, this is amazing for a 70 bucks device. Bluetooth can be set to the audio system and there you go, you have a complete addition to the existing OEM audio.

I still waiting for a -also- cheap bag (9 bucks) from eBay to protect the GPS device when is not in use, to be storage in the glove compartment.

Here is the OEM audio of the Honda Accord.

A close look of it. The top in the back waves up if you push at it, so a device 11mm height and a little bigger can fit inside.

Then, set for bluetooth and set the screen black and install the GPS device inside "the cave". Depending of the height of the device you can move it with inclination towards you from the top or bottom to avoid glare reflection.

That was a western old movie. Well, I set the GPS feature while traveling around.

It doesn't look too bad after all, I like it this way better than hanging smaller GPS devices on windshields, or holding them over the dash. I guess that at night looks even better. The best of all is the huge size of the screen.

I will buy the anti-glare screen cover and surely will be great for a while... because my hands still itching while I wait for Winter to end, the manual to be released, and start to mess with this nice vehicle... what a shame...

Attached Thumbnails When you didn't buy it with GPS-file0098_zps9e9b0325.jpg   When you didn't buy it with GPS-file0099_zps985dcaeb.jpg   When you didn't buy it with GPS-file0101_zps0b484a9b.jpg   When you didn't buy it with GPS-file0102_zps77504a1b.jpg   When you didn't buy it with GPS-file0103_zpsba707945.jpg  

Last edited by darkseat; 01-27-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

looks like it fits well. how well does it stay put with acceleration and turns? do you plan to run a cord inside the dash to plug it in?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 AM

It fits tight enough to stop hard, make wild turns, make sudden fast accelerations and the device will still stand. The top of "the cave" is flexible but hard enough to press the 7" screen device firmly in that place.

And you are right!... instead of having an outside cable running from the device to the power outlet, two holes can be made to pass thru the charging cable. I think that two 1/4" or 3/8" holes won't destroy much the car, install two rubber grommets and that's all.

One hole on the power plug area that allows to exit the charger cable and one on the left or right side of "the cave".

The charger can rest besides the DC power plug while not in use, and be connected only when is needed.

The other end of the charger cable (in this case a mini USB connector) can also rest at the back corner of "the cave". In this area, when not in use, the mini USB connector can be retracted until touches the rubber grommet.

I guess there is plenty space in the back of the AC/heat control and audio control to pass thru the charger cable.

A power plug can also be installed in "the cave" area, I guess that the options or choices are many.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM

We had three iPhone/iPod connected already with bluetooth in the car, so in order to have free reception for calls I installed the GPS' AUX to the 3.5 Aux of the vehicle. It works great.

We traveled a lot, unfortunately the SD card is corrupted and from several takes only three came out right. Still Photobucket didn't take the volume and the video is mute in this short video. The voice of the GPS gave us a warning advice when we were 35mph in a 25mph street.

Note that we gave a sudden turn and the GPS signal did catch the move very fast, in less than a second. Today is very cloudy and raining, and the signal still is good.

FILE0108_zps131caa7a.mp4 video by exhibitions | Photobucket

The same as well, we took a street with lots of path holes. The GPS didn't move at all from its place. Perhaps I will add a rough surface strip to the top and bottom edges to be sure that won't move even if a sudden accident happens. I guess not, but this idea still opens.

Photobucket did accepted sound in this video at this time. The interference that is heard comes from the microphone of the video camera, it was not heard inside the car.

FILE0107_zpsaa1c45ce.mp4 video by exhibitions | Photobucket

I will change the SD card because has been reused several times, this camera takes better shots with good standing SD cards.

At least you see that the 7" screen device will still stand while driving around.

My regards.

Last edited by darkseat; 01-28-2013 at 11:34 AM.