Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   rca cable confusion (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/rca-cable-confusion-24927/)

christian2000accord 04-21-2009 10:37 AM

rca cable help!

I would like to run 2 subs off of my 4 channel, each side being bridged so my 4 channel is now a 2 channel driving 2 subs. only problem is, my deck only has 1 set of rca cable outputs for a subwoofer out channel, whereas the amp requires 2 sets (one set for each side of the amp). I was thinking i need some sort of Y adaptor to do this, so that my one set of rca cables can be split into 2??

t00fatt 04-21-2009 07:39 PM

A Y adapter will work but is not optimal, the amp has no outputs? If your stuck using a Y adapter your going to have to set your gains just a bit higher. So I wouldn't just set the gains by ear like most people try to do. Get your self some sine wave test tones, for bass you want around 50hz. Then adjust your gains until your putting out the rated RMS. You have to measure the voltage and amperage at the speaker terminals with the sub disconnected. Multiply the amps by the volts will give you the watts.

botang47 04-21-2009 07:53 PM

t00fat, could he connect rca cables from his output to his input?

t00fatt 04-21-2009 07:59 PM

Sure, long as the amp actually has outputs.

EDIT: If you could find a powered RCA splitter, if there even is such a thing, that would be best. See when your setting your gains, your telling the amp what voltage to expect the signal to be. When you split the RCAs with a Y connector your are lowering the voltage, so you have to turn the gains up higher which can induce noise. Every signal has low levels of noise, the lower the signal voltage the more the signal is amplified, also amplifying the noise. This is exactly why you want a HU with at least 4v pre outs. The higher voltage won't have to be amplified as much keeping the nose floor in the inaudible range. Your HU is probably 2v, so splitting a 2v signal isn't going to very good at all. I'm pretty stoned, so sorry for not explaining it better.

botang47 04-21-2009 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt (Post 168044)
I'm pretty stoned, so sorry for not explaining it better.

haha i had to take a mouth swab drug test for my new job today. i brushed and mouth washed like crazy but idk...

t00fatt 04-21-2009 08:39 PM

Yeah that's not going to work out, even with a med card.

christian2000accord 04-21-2009 10:02 PM

haha you guys are funny... anyways YES my amp has an rca output so i could just take one set of cables and put it into one side, then connect the ouput to the other input on the other side of the amp with another short rca cable?? sounds like a better idea than splitting it

t00fatt 04-21-2009 10:44 PM

How many sets of outputs do you have? One or two sets? You might have to play around with which on the inputs to use and which output, since you only have one RCA input. Now I can't say I've done this myself or seen it done specifically, but I don't see how it wouldn't work.

christian2000accord 04-21-2009 10:55 PM

my amp has 2 sets of RCA inputs as it is a 4 channel, and 1 set of RCA outputs. So what i was thinking was subwoofer output on headunit to 1st set of rca inputs on amp, and then rca output on amp to the other set of inputs. Does that make sense?

t00fatt 04-21-2009 11:06 PM

Yeah, lets just hope it doesn't require both sets of inputs for the output to work properly. I really have no idea how it splits it, it's definitely not going to just split it like a y connector, or at least I hope...