Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Replacement Speakers for the Front doors (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/replacement-speakers-front-doors-18689/)

wpc0908 05-26-2008 09:20 PM

Replacement Speakers for the Front doors

I am in the process of replacing the speakers in the front doors, the removal process was a little irritating but I made through..

I am looking at the infinity reference series and got the 6 1/2 inchers and now it appears that they don't fit in the opening 100%, I have read something about needing a 1" spacer so it wont hit the window so I am gonna give that a shot, those speakers that were in there seem a little "cheap".

I guess my question is......... I am not planning on changing out the headunit and have already changed out the rear speakers using the infinity refs also, will using these give me alot better sound, better sound, good sound? I am not trying to blow any doors off here, just looking for some decent quality sound for the money.. What about amping the stock headunit? I have the basic 6 disc cd player with xm and all the temp controls included in one big lovely piece..

All help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Flatline1121 05-26-2008 10:24 PM

RE: Replacement Speakers for the Front doors

I acutally use the one inch spacer on my doors and the worked out good. and infinity will give you a great sound as well. they have a really good range so the will give you "more" sound, which will make them sound louder. as far as the headunit, the only way it matters is if you have an amp, in which case, you want to make sure you have the pre-outs. if not, all headunits run around 50-52 watts per channel. if you wanted to add an amp, you want to find one with a good RMto match the speakers and it will turn out fine. If you know what your doing then you could try yourself, but if not i would reccommend going to a professional installer. I work at a best buy in FL and if you go there and ask, they will answer any questions in better detail if you want to go through it quickly. If not just ask me and i can tell you what you need to know. I spent some time installing myself. hope this helps

finch13 05-27-2008 12:01 AM

Most head units supply 50W peak per channel. I had decent Pioneer speakers powered by the stock headunit and they didn't sound pretty at all. They sounded really dirty as the volume was increased. Once I connected them to my Alpine HU the problem was solved, they're now crisp and clean.

Amping the stock HU is definitely a possibility, you'll need a line level to RCA converter though.

You sound quality is going to increase dramatically over the stock 20W speakers either way. See what they sound like with the stock HU and then decide if they need to be amped.

wpc0908 05-27-2008 04:48 AM

Thanks for the reply back, I have very little knowledge about car audio, heck I was wondering what the head unit was til a few days ago...

Flatline, I have made all my purchases from Best Buy, I will probably run by there today to hopefully get the spacers I need, by the time I read your reply I would have already went by there, so hopefully they have them. I hope I explain what I need correctly and they don't look at me like I am from another planet.. so far they have seemed good.

Amping and adding a sub would be something way down the road if I go that direction. I just want better sound from what I have now..

I guess I never said what I have so here is my ride....

2006 Honda Accord EX L,
Stock everything
Windows tinted 50/20%
9623i infinity reference rear and working on the front now...

RTexasF 05-27-2008 06:56 AM

Should you ever decide to amp the stock head unit you will need a signal processor likethe JL Clean Sweep. The stock head has drastic equalization curves to make up for the poor stock speakers and when amplified the sound is quite distorted. The Clean Sweep removes the excessive equalization and provides a flat signal. Mine is mounted (hidden) in the dash and goes between the stock head and the amp providing a flat super clean signal to the amp. The result is quite remarkable. The only change in looks is the Clean Sweep has its own volume control which will be used instead of the volume knob on the head unit.

The volume is the silver knob below the e-brake.
The other photo just shows how sub and amp were mounted.
I'm no guru I paid for installation, Kicker speakers had already replaced the OEM junk.
The Clean Sweep (not shown) also allows for an external plug in like an Ipod.

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/C853DC61E9BE49DCA39707306DA66636.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/7AA3EA3B098E4870843D9584095DCD8F.jpg[/IMG]

wpc0908 05-27-2008 11:00 PM

Well I finished it up.. I ended up purchasing some universal 1" spacers, mounted them and the speakers to them.. overall once I had all the correct parts it took me roughly 20 mins to do the other side... start to finish. I am not expert but I think I owe those install geeks a little more appreciation than what I have given them before.....

Thanks for the information about amping the stock head, that and any other car audio projects are pretty much on hold for a while.

Looks like you have the redondo red , or close, that is what I have... I do not have the v6 which currently with gas the way it is im sort of glad.. Im getting pretty decent city milage....

Thank you everyone for the help...I really appreciate it...

kirkelli 05-29-2008 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: wpc0908

Well I finished it up.. I ended up purchasing some universal 1" spacers, mounted them and the speakers to them.. overall once I had all the correct parts it took me roughly 20 mins to do the other side... start to finish. I am not expert but I think I owe those install geeks a little more appreciation than what I have given them before.....

What year is your Accord? I just bought a 2008 Coupe and want to change out the front speakrs as well as the back. Crutchfiled's vehicle finder only gives three speaker selections and each are 5-1/4 with 2-2/38 depth. I'm wanting to install the Polks Refrence 6-1/2's front and back. Will the one inch spacer work up front and still maintain the factory grill? Also plan on installing a Z3 double DIN using Sorche dash plate, just waiting for the dual climate version they plan to release mid June.

ougrad1 06-01-2008 03:05 AM

Just bought an '08 ex and immediately had my old speaker and sub amps(eclipse and alpine respectively) installed with focal access 165 components for the front and focal 6.5 access for the rears. Infinity 10 perfect for the sub and I had a JL audio cleansweep installed to clean up the sound. Had the seperate sub controller installed for the cleansweep too so I could adjust the bass as needed. Also had an ipod adapter hooked up via RCAs to the cleansweep for a better ipod sound than the AUX and it allows me to charge the ipod too.

It sounds almost as good as my old 4runner that had the same sub and amps but had MB qarts for all 4 speakers and an alpine 9815 head unit. THis is the sacrifice since I wanted to keep the clean look in the new accords.