Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Replacing 6 CD Player 2004 Honda Accord (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/replacing-6-cd-player-2004-honda-accord-64317/)

bearcatnat 02-12-2017 03:43 PM

Replacing 6 CD Player 2004 Honda Accord

Hello. I have a 2004 Honda Accord coupe. About 2 months ago, the CD player started acting up. When moving between discs, it would sometimes say "MECH ERR". Usually, moving to a different disc, powering the radio off/on, or skipping tracks would get it going again. Then one day it stopped playing discs altogether and showed a constant "MECH ERR" while in CD mode. I could still switch discs and load/unload discs, so I knew it wasn't a stuck disc.

I purchased a replacement CD player unit only, new on eBay. My dad and I removed the whole radio unit (which includes the CD player, radio, and climate controls), and swapped in the new CD player in the radio block. There was only one connecting ribbon cable that we saw when disassembling/reassembling it.

We plugged everything back into the dash, but the new CD player isn't working! The satellite radio works (which is on the same button as the CD player mode switch), but it won't switch to the CD player.

We we also tried plugging in an Aux iPhone cable that I had purchased to install at the same time. This plugs into the aux output and has a white rectangular end. It also would replace the satellite radio aux input cord, since I don't use it. With this plugged into aux, there was a message that came up that looked like CD player mode. It said something like CD DSC01 TRK01, but I still couldn't load a CD (nothing happens when I hit the Load or Eject buttons.) Also, the aux cable didn't seem to do anything.

Any idea what could be going on?? I'm thinking my next move is to buy a whole new radio/cd player block, but I want to make sure there's not something simple I'm missing!

keep_hope_alive 03-08-2017 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatnat (Post 373927)
Hello. I have a 2004 Honda Accord coupe. About 2 months ago, the CD player started acting up. When moving between discs, it would sometimes say "MECH ERR". Usually, moving to a different disc, powering the radio off/on, or skipping tracks would get it going again. Then one day it stopped playing discs altogether and showed a constant "MECH ERR" while in CD mode. I could still switch discs and load/unload discs, so I knew it wasn't a stuck disc.

I purchased a replacement CD player unit only, new on eBay. My dad and I removed the whole radio unit (which includes the CD player, radio, and climate controls), and swapped in the new CD player in the radio block. There was only one connecting ribbon cable that we saw when disassembling/reassembling it.

We plugged everything back into the dash, but the new CD player isn't working! The satellite radio works (which is on the same button as the CD player mode switch), but it won't switch to the CD player.

We we also tried plugging in an Aux iPhone cable that I had purchased to install at the same time. This plugs into the aux output and has a white rectangular end. It also would replace the satellite radio aux input cord, since I don't use it. With this plugged into aux, there was a message that came up that looked like CD player mode. It said something like CD DSC01 TRK01, but I still couldn't load a CD (nothing happens when I hit the Load or Eject buttons.) Also, the aux cable didn't seem to do anything.

Any idea what could be going on?? I'm thinking my next move is to buy a whole new radio/cd player block, but I want to make sure there's not something simple I'm missing!

could be you bought a CD unit from a different year and it isn't directly compatible.

ribbon cables are finicky, and need to be perfectly inserted to make contact. i would start by going back to that ribbon cable connection.