Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   replacing radio - suggestions? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/replacing-radio-suggestions-37723/)

99ex 01-26-2011 10:27 AM

replacing radio - suggestions?

I have a 1999 accord ex. There is no aux input and now the CD player is giving me the PEO error when I put CD's in. I didn't want to swap out the radio and lose the steering wheel controls, but I can't handle Houston radio stations as my only option.

I just want something functional with an auxillary input and bluetooth would be nice. Any suggestions?

keep_hope_alive 01-26-2011 12:32 PM

you can buy the PAC-Audio SWI-Jack to use your factory steering wheel controls with many aftermarket head units. It is fairly simple to program and you can decide what you want each button to do.

I recommend buying an aftermarket head unit that offers you the features you want and is compatible with the SWI-Jack. Crutchfield is an excellent online resource as they will help you with what will work and provide the necessary mounting kit and wiring harness adapter. For aftermarket radios that commonly work well with steering wheel controls, look at Alpine and JVC.

99ex 02-02-2011 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive (Post 228587)
you can buy the PAC-Audio SWI-Jack to use your factory steering wheel controls with many aftermarket head units. It is fairly simple to program and you can decide what you want each button to do.

I recommend buying an aftermarket head unit that offers you the features you want and is compatible with the SWI-Jack. Crutchfield is an excellent online resource as they will help you with what will work and provide the necessary mounting kit and wiring harness adapter. For aftermarket radios that commonly work well with steering wheel controls, look at Alpine and JVC.

Thanks - I did not know about the PAC-Audio jack. I checked out crutchfield and saw many Alpine options that would fit the bill. All the JVC's wouldn't fit (size-wise). I may just settle for the Hon98-Aux input adaptor. Your option is better but it's more $$$$$.

Micah777 02-05-2011 11:55 PM

i thought the same thing about the difference in the cost i would spend on getting the aux jack for my stock radio and getting an aftermarket radio. thing i went for was the aftermarket radio. i found it to be very simple to install and all under 100 bucks. i got the jvc kd125 and i found that my stock speakers sounded ridiculously better. so my advice is go for the change out it will be definitely worth it in the end! :D:D

99ex 02-10-2011 08:35 PM

I was just gonna take the easy way out and put in the aux input adaptor. Unfortunately, it sounded like crap - a little buzzing noise that got louder as I accelerated. I read up on a ground loop isolator or something like that at radio shack. Before I could make it up there, I ran into an old friend that I had sold a 1990 accord to a couple of years ago. He told me the car finally bit the dust but that he had removed the stereo equipment. Told me I could have it back as he had no use for it.

So tonight I put the three year old kenwood deck with a usb slot and aux input into the car. I also installed some pioneer 6X9's and it sounds great when compared to the factory equipment. I need some 6.5" speakers for the door. Maybe I can trade the pioneer 4" tweeters that I need to get rid of.

I don't have the controls on the steering wheel, but I'm done messing with this for now. I think it's definitely an upgrade

99ex 02-10-2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Micah777 (Post 229993)
i thought the same thing about the difference in the cost i would spend on getting the aux jack for my stock radio and getting an aftermarket radio. thing i went for was the aftermarket radio. i found it to be very simple to install and all under 100 bucks. i got the jvc kd125 and i found that my stock speakers sounded ridiculously better. so my advice is go for the change out it will be definitely worth it in the end! :D:D

If you've gone as far as to replace the radio, take the next step and replace those rear speakers at least. the difference is night and day.

keep_hope_alive 02-11-2011 10:59 AM

i always replace front speakers before rear speakers. your front speakers are what you actually listen to music on. rear 6x9's are just for low frequencies and ambience (not necessary if you have a sub). i like rear speakers to be quieter than fronts - so it sounds like music is in front of me.

i understand using what you got. glad you're happier. it's all about enjoying music.

99ex 02-12-2011 08:23 AM

yeah - I hear you. The rears made the difficiency in the fronts all the more glaring. I hade to turn the rears down so it would maintain some sense of balance between front and back.

99ex 02-12-2011 05:40 PM

sat around all morning and contemplated those front speakers. Then I went to best buy and picked up an inexpensive pair of 6.5's and installed those. ahhhh - I'm very happy now. And I don't care how bad I get the urge to do something else, I'm not gonna do it. I'm gonna have to block keep hope alive because he puts these ideas in my head :)

Micah777 02-12-2011 09:29 PM

he puts nice amazing sounding ideas in my head as well. they just tend to cost too much!!! :(