Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Reverse engineering some bad wiring (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/reverse-engineering-some-bad-wiring-55718/)

Uberpippi 07-11-2013 09:35 PM

Reverse engineering some bad wiring

I have a 95 Honda Accord. I bought it and they guy told me that it didn't have an antenna. The radio wouldn't work, and other crap was shorting out, so I've been trying to undo the crazy wiring.

When I opened the trunk, I saw that they did have a power antenna, but it was just resting in the trunk. The best I can figure out is that they probably had a sub or an amp in the trunk and the power antenna connected to it somehow, and then it got stolen, the power antenna kept shorting out the 7.5A fuse because it was using the same ground that got cut, and they just removed the power antenna?

Here's what the wiring is like now. I'm very new to any kind of wiring.

- There is a red and a silver jack that go from the dash, through the side and into the trunk. They are sitting in the trunk unplugged.
- There is a blue wire that is terminated in the dash with a butt connector that goes to the trunk that is sitting there open and frayed.
- There is a ground wire in the trunk that one end is connected to the ground nut, and the other end is exposed and cut.
- There is an antenna wire in the dash, that connected to the power antenna connector in the trunk.
- The power antenna motor currently has a box that has a 6 wires coming out of it. Red, Green, Black, Yellow, White and another black. The Yellow, white and Black go to the motor right below the box. The red, green and black go to a connector, and the red and green wires are spliced into two different yellow and white wires in the connector. So the connector has 2 yellow and white wires, one goes to green one goes to red, and the black goes to the black. This wasn't plugged into anything.

When I use a test light, the 7.5A fuse that powers the antenna (among other things) makes the short light come on. When I remove the fuse it's off. So I'm guessing that my short is something to do with the power antenna / trunk wiring. Does anything here stand out is causing problems? I can't find the 3 pin connector that the power motor would plug into, and I have no idea where the wires that run from the antenna to the stereo would be. Trying to figure out the stereo wiring is going to be a separate trick, I'm just trying to solve the immediate fuse issue. Thanks!

Uberpippi 07-15-2013 10:17 AM

bump.

TexasHonda 07-15-2013 12:49 PM

You can download the 94-97 Accord manual from Online Manuals post in DIY forum. It has circuit diagram to attempt to repair your existing power antenna.

It will be easier to replace antenna w/ a short non-power screw-on antenna mating to a new base. Ebay has hundreds of them.

good luck

Uberpippi 07-15-2013 02:46 PM

I have the wiring diagram and have found the plug connector, but I don't know what to do if I just want to remove the antenna completely and let it ground properly. I don't need the antenna at the moment, I just want the circuit to work properly.

TexasHonda 07-15-2013 06:46 PM

I would suspect the motor is shorted or movement is jammed leading to excess current draw. These are not repairable items in my experience.

good luck

keep_hope_alive 07-17-2013 06:44 AM

welcome. you will want to use a DMM for testing purposes, more informative and doesn't create a load on what you test.

when you find bare wire, insulate it, then figure out what it does. i hope you've done this already.

the wire colors you describe don't mean anything without the wiring diagrams for the unit. sometimes, color codes are consistent sometimes random.

in general, the industry uses yellow for constant 12V and red for switched 12V. head units use blue for power antenna and that wire will only have voltage when the head unit is on.

there are service manuals in this section also, a sticky.