Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Single DIN DVD in lower pocket possible? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/single-din-dvd-lower-pocket-possible-24310/)

DaMeSPaCio 03-23-2009 07:19 PM

Single DIN DVD in lower pocket possible?

Hey wats up everyone,

I currently have an automatic 2007 Honda Accord LX coupe. I've been thinking about updating the sound system for a while, but nothing too crazy. The only thing I've done is update the speakers (I believe they were Alpines 300W's each).

I was thinking about getting a single DIN am/fm/dvd player with a detachable faceplate, but I want it to go in the pocket below the factory stereo and climate controls. The reason why I chose single DIN instead of dual din is because the location where I park my car to go to work is pretty shady and I don't want anything to get stolen.

I know that they make harnesses for the pocket, but I have a few questions:

1) Will either the shift knob or factory buttons up top interfere with the flip out screen?

2) How easy would it be to install myself? I'm pretty handy and have installed numerous decks, but never a dvd player and/or in a car this "new."

3) Does anyone know if there are any good ones out there that are $400 or less on ebay (lookin for detachable faceplate, 50Wx4 or more, possible USB port)? I don't really wanna spend $700+ on a brand new one.

Another way to go would be to purchase a double din DVD player, install it in the pocket, but also have the flip down lid be able to close. I'm trying to steer clear of this method because I know that it'll take more modification that usual and this car is a lease.

Thanks in advance :)

-Hector

t00fatt 03-23-2009 07:50 PM

A flip out will not open in the lower cubby. For what you want to do you need a metra kit that will replace the stock radio. Also your not going to find an indash with those features in that price range. By far the best in dash in that price range are the Valors. I have one and for what you want you will be happy with it. If you really want a quality indash for that money then your going to have to get a used brand name one. I'm not the biggest fan of used electronics though, especially from ebay.

MacLeod 03-23-2009 08:24 PM

You could always buy a DVD player without the screen like an Alpine and then mount a screen elsewhere like in the sun visor. Just a thought.

vdaaccord06 03-28-2009 02:32 AM

yeah hector toofat is right. also ive heard that flip out doesnt work too well in the long run because of the motor being worn out, then you're basically ****ed. so i really suggest getting a double din. there's currently one that has a detachable face. i forog twhat brand tho. but there is one.

and about having the cubby fip thing to "cover" that won't work either. cause everything woud be in the way.

DaMeSPaCio 03-28-2009 12:40 PM

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

Since I didn't like the look of the single din flip out screen up top, and most of you say that it wouldnt fit at the bottom, what I ended up doing was just giving in and ordering a double-din for the lower cubby hole and gonna install that next week when it comes in. I purchased a JVC KW-AVX820, which has all the features I'm looking for AND a detachable faceplate.

Here's what it looks like:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105WAVX...W-AVX820&tp=75

I think it's gonna look pretty sweet. I didn't buy it from crutchfield tho, I bought it on ebay for about $200 less and brand new (not a refurb). The harness, I bought directly from Honda for about $75 with shipping. Now I'm crossing my fingers that it all works! :)

thanks again,

-Hector

t00fatt 03-28-2009 09:22 PM

I hope you know how to work with bondo as your going to be custom fabbing it into the lower cubby mount. If you have some skill in that look into molding it into the OEM radio. There was a buildlog of just that on some other forum, I', sure someone here will post a link to that thread, or you can search for it. There arn't too many double DIN installs in a 7th gen. I really hope you didn't just order that without knowing this..

vdaaccord06 03-29-2009 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt (Post 163074)
I hope you know how to work with bondo as your going to be custom fabbing it into the lower cubby mount. If you have some skill in that look into molding it into the OEM radio. There was a buildlog of just that on some other forum, I', sure someone here will post a link to that thread, or you can search for it. There arn't too many double DIN installs in a 7th gen. I really hope you didn't just order that without knowing this..

isnt that what the purpose of the double din kit for?? what other bondo/custom fabb do you mean???

t00fatt 03-29-2009 03:53 PM

There is no double din kit for the 7th gen...

watson540 03-29-2009 06:15 PM

haha funny stuff..I guess there is a lesson here, if you start a thread with a question..be sure you come back to read answers before you dump close to 6-700$ on a stereo

t00fatt 03-29-2009 06:18 PM

Sad thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened...