Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Smart entry not working after window tint job (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/smart-entry-not-working-after-window-tint-job-66357/)

kshyju 12-12-2018 10:29 PM

Smart entry not working after window tint job

Can window tinting process affect the smart entry feature of a car ?

I did window tinting on my Honda Accord 2013 EX sedan, at a reputed local shop few days ago and when I picked up the car I noticed the smart entry indicator stays on all the time. Also the smart entry is not working when I want to open/close the door ( I have to explicitly click on the open/close door button in key fob). When I asked the tint guys, they said it is because they kept the doors opened for a long time to do the tint job and wait a week.

Today is the 7th day since this happened. It does not work for driver door, passenger door and trunk! The batteries in my key fob are relatively new. Usually I get a sign about low battery in key fob when the battery is low.

Reached out to the tint shop and this is their response

Scott, our Tint Manager, observed that most frequently the cause of the smart key problem you are experiencing is a low battery in the key fob. Let us know status after you replace the battery.

On the other hand, in rare cases some moisture temporarily compromised the electronic controls and with time, usually with in 3 to 5 days, evaporation solved the problem.

Has anyone experienced this ? What is the reasoning behind it goes away after few days ?Electronics usually die when some short circuit happens, is my understanding.

I tried resetting the power by disconnect and reconnecting the batter 3 days ago. Did not help!

It is nano ceramic tint, not metallic if that matters.

keep_hope_alive 12-14-2018 12:40 AM

There have been some reports of tint messing with wireless key systems. Normally, a ceramic tint is not the culprit. One test of this is if the car recognizes the key's presence with the window down vs. up. That will quickly tell you if the tint is the issue.

You may need to have the key reprogrammed (for whatever reason) and replacing the battery is a good idea if you haven't yet. While it seems related, it may be coincidental.

kshyju 12-14-2018 11:26 PM

Thanks! I rolled down the window and tried the smart key feature and it did not work either! So I wonder some electronic item got messed up while the tinting process. Washing the inside of the windshield might have caused the water to go inside the door and short circuited some electronics ? In that case, it is possible that the electronics might have been damaged. Rite?

What would be the next thing to check before taking it to the dealer ?

keep_hope_alive 12-22-2018 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by kshyju (Post 383448)
Thanks! I rolled down the window and tried the smart key feature and it did not work either! So I wonder some electronic item got messed up while the tinting process. Washing the inside of the windshield might have caused the water to go inside the door and short circuited some electronics ? In that case, it is possible that the electronics might have been damaged. Rite?

What would be the next thing to check before taking it to the dealer ?

Cleaning the inside glass should have produced minimal moisture inside the door, which shouldn't have damaged any electronics but i suppose there is something at the door handle itself on the inside. I haven't disassembled a smart entry door yet to know for sure. Did your smart entry work on any other doors also? Trunk? Try any other smart key features to nail down any commonalities.