Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   so what are these capcells anyway? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/so-what-these-capcells-anyway-23092/)

zachyzissou 01-22-2009 01:33 PM

so what are these capcells anyway?

I've just discovered these Power Acoustic Capcells, would this be more worth buying with my system than a new battery? or would combining the two payoff more in the long run?

i'm running around 1300 watts and my lights dim even with the capacitor and my sub gain is all the way down due to trying to break them in easy.

t00fatt 01-22-2009 01:44 PM

RE: so what are these capcells anyway?

What is a capcell? Caps are a band aid not a fix for dimming. If your lights dim that's because your voltage is dropping too low. Either your battery or alt can't keep up with it, or both. a Yellowtop can do high current output so that will help. Also upgrading the big 3 wires tot he alt will let your alt feed your system with all the juice it can. Google the big 3 upgrade and you will find many tutorials. It is basically just replacing the wires going from the alt to the battery, and the ground from the alt, to the block, then from the block to the chassis.

I'm running about 1200w and my lights don't dim at all. I upgraded my big three and installed a yellowtop. I also changed all my lights to LEDs, and LEDs don't dim as drastically when the voltage drops. You really can't tell that they are dimming, if they are even dimming. Also HIDs don't dim either, unless the voltage was to drop way too low then they can flicker like a strobe.

t00fatt 01-22-2009 01:54 PM

Looks like a very high current, low capacity glassmatt battery with maybe a cap built in. It's looks like it's glassmatt (optima batteries are also glassmatt). It does seem to be better than a cap, but like a cap it will put a bigger strain on the electrical system. That's why caps are a band aid and not a fix, a cap actually increases the load on the alt, it just helps keep the voltage steady.

zachyzissou 01-22-2009 06:10 PM

i didn't think the Capcell was a battery but more of a capacitor but different?

also i have sylvannia silverstar ultras for my headlights, but even prior to that they dimmed.

t00fatt 01-22-2009 07:30 PM

No it has a battery that is rated for 8 amp hours, a yellowtop I believe is 30 or 40 amp hours. There's a high current battery in there, with a cap so it can handle even more current. A capacitor does not hold a charge like a battery and it dissipates very quickly.

EDIT: Dimming is more noticeable with high wattage halogens, I don't know the rating of those halogens but just so you know.

glen e 01-22-2009 07:45 PM

an easy way to fix the problem is with a AGM marine dual purpose battery. They are about 160 bucks and combine high amps with long reserve. They also hold their charge down to xero degrees and recharge faster than a reg batt. So a trip to the store packs them with farmore charge than a reg batt. The Honda batt is a toy at approx 410-550 amps. I installed a 945 amp batt and the flicker is GONE. The A/C kickin is extremely minor now. 700 amps is about the level of all other accord competitors.Honda just got cheap on the elelctrical storage sytem in an accord.

t00fatt 01-22-2009 07:55 PM

Replacing the battery and not upgrading the wiring isn't always enough, but is a big part. AGMs and optima batteries are defianlty the only way to go.

EDIT: AGM is not a brand but a type of battery. Odessy is one of the best AGM batteries.

glen e 01-22-2009 07:59 PM

All you need on AGM's here:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

zachyzissou 01-22-2009 09:28 PM

so should i just do things in this order.

the big three, see if that fixes it
and if not then go for a yellowtop?

t00fatt 01-22-2009 09:35 PM

Big three with the stock battery will not fix it. May help some but won't go away. It may go away with a nice battery and the big three, your not drawing that many amps.