Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

My audio setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 04:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default My audio setup

Just a heads up. I'm a car audio installer..If you need help just message me...maybe i could help....so this is what i've done to my 96

Pioneer Avic D3 Headunit with Ipod cable
Farenheit FlipDown
Infinity Kappa 6'5 in front
Alpine Type R 6x9's in the back
2 twelve inch MTX TC712's
MTX JH1200 Amp
Stinger 1.2 Farad cap
Raptor Battery Terminals

Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

lots and lots of pics help sell your abilities. do a detailed build photo log, showing every connection, every route, fabrication, etc.

see my build log for ideas (link in sig)

it's not what you have but how you install it that really matters.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Administrator

And keep_hope_alive is our Chief Installer..I said so right Rich

Old 10-31-2010, 04:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey KHA....You are really really good at what you do.....didn't know there was a master installer here...Sorry.....My system is installed in all stock locations....I just got the car....I just built my new sub enclosure last night. It's going to stay wood till spring till I can do the fiberglass work. I made a 4 cubic foot box tuned to 45 herts
by the way nice to meet you KHA

Old 10-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

i don't consider my self a "master installer", just a hobbyist. I'm an Acoustics Engineer/Electrical Engineer - at least that's what i do for a living. IMO, to be considered an "installer" you'd need your MECP certification in the appropriate sections. I have over 15 years experience in mobile installations, but for half of that i had no idea what i should have been doing. it's been a long learning experience.

it doesn't hurt to network, that's what forums are for. I try to minimize the installations i do for other people because they are so time consuming. you are welcome here to provide insight, advice, and comments on any questions people have.

good to meet you to. pics are always important. stock locations can work but you need foam to maintain a seal to the factory panel - here is an example of that
Name:  SciontCdeadening016.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  143.0 KB
in this pic you can also see how i circled the bolt holes that were used for the seat, and any other fastener when sound deadening a car, it's best to not deaden over holes then try to cut them out later, just avoid them when you deaden.

this is my current project for a coworker. we still have another 40 hours or so to go.
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...=3#Post1805987

here are some other build logs of mine, examples of photos
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...=3#Post1367890

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...=3#Post1625041

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...=3#Post1755977

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...=3#Post1400581

Overall, i do this for a hobby and mostly just work on my own vehicles (i have over 350 hours in my Accord and i have a lot more planned). But people ask me to help them and i can't say no.

I believe in following the installation guidelines for IASCA, MECA,and USACi. if you read their install guidelines you get a good idea of how to properly install a car system that is safe.

I believe wiring is key - not only quality but installation. an install is only as good as the weakest connection - and all connections should be properly terminate, soldered, heat shrunk, etc. Basically, the wiring you add should be better than OEM - both in routing and terminations.

so welcome to HAF! i look forward to some pics of your system.

a 4 cu.ft. box is huge. what materials? how did you brace it? flared port(s)? pics? i've never built one that large before.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well MTX call for 2 cubic feet per sub sooo i went with a 4 for 2. And to answer 1 question i didn't flare the port. Its a strait 3 inch wide port 8.5 inches long.......and now regret not flaring it. Still sounds great though. And compared to me you are a master........I started my 310K apprenticeship 4 months ago..its all you need here...but i plan on doing all my levels for the MECP. I've been learning all the proper ways of doing things from my boss who grandfathered me in. It's all the old school methods though. I would love to do complete installs, customs door skins, dashes, all the fun time consuming stuff but ppl cant really afford it. So its alot of basic stuff.......If i had my own garage and not just a shed I would tare my car apart and go ground up....for now it works......but i just put that box in tonight and well I sooooo need to dynamat my whole car now......anyways i gotta get off for now. Have a good night

Old 11-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Good post you 2..Thanks for all the input...

Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

note that when putting multiple subs in a single enclosure - you do not double the recommended volume when air space is shared. it's more like 2/3 of what the double volume would be since the enclosures do see a larger volume. if you have a divider and a port for each then you're right to double it. without a divider the tuning will be affected, i haven't done the hand calcs in a long time, everything is software based now.

best bet is to model the enclosure in software to get the desired Q and frequency resopnse.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Was done with software at work.....But i'm planning on dividing the port i'm getting too much flutter. I'm only dropping it by 3hrz by deviding. so should be alright at 42....If not rebuild!!!!