Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Speakers (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/speakers-18095/)

jnunez 04-27-2008 06:03 PM

Speakers

So i been looking around the forum to find out what size speakers I need and now im confused. I want to install door and rear speakers, and if neccesary, tweeters. I just dont know what size to get for the speakers because I dont want to have to do any customizing because I am not going to do the instal best buy is. So what size speakers should I get?

t00fatt 04-27-2008 06:58 PM

RE: Speakers

Although this info is everywhere 6.5" upfront and 6x9 in the back. Try searching next time...

MacLeod 04-27-2008 10:57 PM

Although the front doors are 6.5 from the factory, the mounting hole is very small and any large 6.5 with a large basket and/or magnet wont fit without some cutting. If youre not wanting to hack your doors up, go with a set of 5.25's which will drop right in.

jnunez 04-28-2008 06:58 PM

Is there a big sound difference between 5.25 and 6.5?

Briggz 04-28-2008 10:18 PM

Size really makes no difference for the most part. RMS wattage and the quality of the speaker and brand is what you need to pay attention to. A 5.25 speaker from JL or Pioneer will sound better than a 6.5 from the wal-mart bargain bin.

donpisto 04-29-2008 09:17 PM

Incorrect, size does make a difference. You gain more mid bass with a larger speaker of the same kind. I myself have had 6.5" speakers in my doors and heard 8" speakers as well as 10" speakers (not subs) in doors...VERY big difference. The same will apply between 5.25" and 6.5". Also, the power you give them will make a difference.

Mounting depth is also limited. I'm not sure which vehicle you have but for my '01 Accord there wasn't much room, even when I did create a baffle (spacer) for the current speakers I'm using and I had to cut my doors. The previous speakers I used were DLS Iridiums and they fit fine with the 1/2" baffle I made that was the shape of the stock one. Honestly, you can probably do it yourself and Best Buy will charge you an arm and a leg. But if you don't want to deal with it, shop around and ask audio shops how much they charge as well.

Briggz 04-30-2008 02:33 PM

Well yeah, size matters if you have the same quality materials being used. I just didn't want him to get sucked into thinking that bigger is always better.

Kai Winters 04-30-2008 03:32 PM

I am using JL Audio XR650-csi 6 1/2" components in the stock front door locations and they fit without a problem.
Co-axials, of the same quality, generally require more room.
Indeed midrange will be stronger with a 6 1/2" over a 5 1/2" of the same type/quality thoughhigh quality 5 1/2" speakers will sound better than cheap 61/2" speakers.

Indeed searching is the best way to handle questions such as yours.
You can also go to crutchfield.com and use their handy "outfit my car" program. I find it a quick and easy way to check things out you may be unsure of. I am not a schill for them lol but I am a fan and occaisonal customer.

donpisto 04-30-2008 09:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Briggz

Well yeah, size matters if you have the same quality materials being used. I just didn't want him to get sucked into thinking that bigger is always better.
Ah, gotcha. Agreed...Highly agree on this. The same would go for subs and people always seem to think bigger is better. But you're right, there are many 5.25" speakers that would sound better than 6.5" speakers

jnunez 05-01-2008 01:15 AM

Whats the difference between 6 1/2 component speakers and regular 6 1/2 speakers?