Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Stereo not working...help, please (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/stereo-not-working-help-please-20579/)

whiptastic 09-08-2008 10:10 PM

Stereo not working...help, please

Here's the story:
This is a 2004 Accord Coupe EX V6, with the 6CD changer. The backlighting went out on the stereo/HVAC controls, which I know is a common problem, covered by warranty. Had new speakers, sub, amps installed at Mobile One (Houston, TX) while the backlight was out, but everything worked fine. Went to the dealer to have the backlight fixed, which they did. However, they are saying the stereo shorted out (in the shop!) due to the installation of the speakers, etc. So, the backlight has been fixed, but the stereo won't work! Drove back to Houston (3+ hrs. each way), and after double-checking their install, Mobile One insisted that the speakers, etc.were installed perfectly. In fact, the manager has agreed to travel to Waco to vouch for his installation at the Honda dealership, if needed. After going back to Honda (without the Mobile One guy), they are still insisting that they are not responsible for the broken stereo that worked when it was brought into the shop, and to replace it with a new unit will cost $1800. So, now this Accord has a load of new high-end equipment in it, and because of something Honda did (and won't admit), the ride is quiet.

Any thoughts on what could have happened to the stereo, or how to move forward from here?

t00fatt 09-09-2008 09:40 AM

RE: Stereo not working...help, please

These radios have a big problem with the backlight going out. I highly doubt, as do you, the install techs did anything to cause the backlight to go out. You don't have to pay $1800 for a new one. They go on ebay for $150 to $200. I'm even selling a OEM 6cd changer HU on the sale/trade classified on these forums for $170 shipped with the $90 AUX interface adapter for free. I only had it installed for about 3 months, its been sitting in my room for about a year and a half now. Been holding on to it just in case my HU dies. If your interested drop me a PM. The only options you have really is to get the radio you have fixed by someone, get another radio, or get the install kit and get an aftermarket radio. That is if you can't get honda to replace it under warranty.

whiptastic 09-09-2008 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

These radios have a big problem with the backlight going out. I highly doubt, as do you, the install techs did anything to cause the backlight to go out.
I should have clarifiedthere is no argument regarding the backlighting issue...that part was fixed. The stereo itself is no longer working, which happened while it was in the shop for the backlighting issue, yet they are refusing to take responsibility for it.

falkore24 09-09-2008 11:04 AM

^^^ because the factory wires were tapped for external amping and a remote lead. ..... I think that you should take some pics of the wiring and post them. If it was all done very professionally and neatly, you should then write an email to Honda of America and include the pictures, explain the case and see if they will provide a new radio as good will.

falkore24 09-09-2008 11:06 AM

If the high level leads are shorting out, it is the aftermarket stereo shop's responsibility to fix it. Does your system have high level leads to the amps or LOC's to RCA's?