Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Stereo/Wiring (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/stereo-wiring-42541/)

AckerVTEC 09-02-2011 11:33 AM

Stereo/Wiring

Alright so I have a 2000 accord coupe 4cyl and I just purchased a 4 AWG wiring kit for my amp(which will be Located in the trunk. Is there a place on my firewall that i can go through on the passenger side to run the wire under the door trim on the floor?

side note:
is there anyone that is woofer savvy that may be able to give me advice on how to situate twin 10 JL W6's in the trunk of my accy?

poorman212 09-02-2011 07:35 PM

KHA in the audio/visual section should be able to help you out......I don't have a clue, I'm happy with my tape deck and stock speakers in the 95 :)

piggylover1985 09-02-2011 10:27 PM

There is a rubber grommet by the firewall that you could use to run the amp wire though.

AckerVTEC 09-03-2011 10:54 PM

Ok so now i have all my wiring for the amp done...RCA's and the 4awg power wire. Heres my new problem... i was attempting to install my new head unit and decided to cut off the factory wiring harness to splice in the pioneer harness... none of the wires match up. I called crutchfield and they said i would have been better off using an adapter, so now what i need to know is should i buy the replacement OEM harness for my honda and also the adapter from crutchfield and just start from there? or is there a proper way to use the funky colored honda wires with the universal color coded pioneers?

piggylover1985 09-04-2011 05:56 AM

Oh no don't do that, but it's too late now, well you could do it either way, are you good with soldering ? Solder and heat shrink the factory plug back and get yourself and adapter for Pioneer to Honda and just plug and play, you can swap back to factory radio later if you sell the car. Or you could just splice into the wires, even though the colors of the wires are not the same but you can still do it, do you have the color coded wires from the Pioneer unit ? Match it up with the Honda wiring diagram and you are good to go, pretty simple, try this for Honda wiring diagram
Constant 12V+ Wire: White/Green
Switched 12V+ Wire: White/Red
Ground Wire: Black
Illumination Wire: Red
Dimmer Wire: Red/Black
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/Black
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Black
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Yellow
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/White
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/White

Please disconnect the battery before you are doing this, don't take chances to fry the driver mutiplex control unit. Make sure you don't wire the dimmer and illumination wires backward, bad things could happen.

AckerVTEC 09-04-2011 09:49 AM

WOW! Your my new hero I believe :) how do mean get the illumination wire backwards? and also i am installing an amp which wire do i connect the control wire from the amp to ?

and which power wire do i use? the pioneer harness has a yellow wire that says its for power but not another power wire?

Is the black ground the big black wire or the small?

piggylover1985 09-04-2011 12:06 PM

Some people wired the illumination wire to the dimmer wire by mistake. Any 12v source can be use to signal power up the amp, i usually install a switch in between because i don't want the subs to come on all the time.
There should be 2 power wires, one is for constant 12v and another one is for switch power which power up the unit with key on.

AckerVTEC 09-04-2011 02:33 PM

there are some wires that idk what to do with... an orange wire coming from the pioneer harness and a yellow and black saying mute. where do i connect these?

what wire do i connect the amp remote wire to to make my amp come on?

coming from the honda set of wires there are 2 black wires one is larger than the other but both are fastened to the chassis as if they are both grounds which one do i connect to the pioneer ground wire?

piggylover1985 09-04-2011 04:23 PM

Does you Pioneer unit comes with any label on the wires or instruction ? Any 12v power wire with "key on" can be use to power the amp, even cigarette light or switch power wire. Orange wire could be for illumination but not 100% sure. The ground wire should be just a ground, which you can ground it to the chassis if you want.

AckerVTEC 09-04-2011 05:06 PM

There is also a yellow and black wire that says "mute" what do i connect it to?
i have figured out the other wiring (the red and black wire in the honda is the dimmer wire which i dont need lol)

the only other wires left from the honda are a black wire and a blue wire... i was told that the blue is the power antenna wire which i dont need no antenna on my car.. the black is mounted to the same place as the ground so i just tied it in with the grounds.

my system should be good now right?

piggylover1985 09-04-2011 05:12 PM

Mute wire is not needed unless you have a car phone. Whatever the wires are not use, cap it off.

AckerVTEC 09-04-2011 05:18 PM

what about the bluetooth in my headunit? like when my phone rings and the stereo answers it?

what do i do with the pioneer sea foam green parking brake wire? where do i connect it?

piggylover1985 09-04-2011 06:25 PM

The mute wire is only needed for older car that used a car phone only, not needed for today modern cell phone technology, don't know why they even put it in the harness ? You can check with Crutchfield on that. Parking brake wire sounds like a ground to me.

AckerVTEC 09-04-2011 06:42 PM

is the stereo gonna work without the parking break wire connected? the headunit is a dvd unit so its supposed to make it so that dvds cant be played while driving...

piggylover1985 09-04-2011 06:47 PM

Connect it to a ground or chassis to make video picture to come on. They label it parking brake as you're not suppose to watch the movie and driving, but if you ground it to chassis then the picture will come on. Just try not watching "fast and scariest" while driving down the road :-)

AckerVTEC 09-04-2011 06:51 PM

Alright do i need to connect it at all? im not gonna be watching movies while im driving lol

piggylover1985 09-04-2011 07:24 PM

Yes you do, if not the video will not come on, it can keep the passenger entertain while you're driving though.

AckerVTEC 09-04-2011 09:35 PM

So I connected all the wires and reinserted everything and the stereo will not power on ... Idk what to do

piggylover1985 09-04-2011 09:51 PM

I assumed that you reconnected the battery lol, Check the radio fuse, both power wires, one is constant 12v, the other one get 12v with key on, then the ground wires, that's all it needs to power up the radio.

AckerVTEC 09-04-2011 10:12 PM

i did reconnect the battery and the white and green wire i connected to the yellow wire. the yellow wire is larger than the red wire coming from the pioneer harness but i connected the red to the white and red.

pioneer said the yellow wire is constant power and that red is switched power

black is ground
and i did this but idk what else to do the fuse on the stereo was fine

piggylover1985 09-05-2011 05:58 AM

Ok, do you have a test light ? Pull the unit out and check your power wires, and also make sure that your ground is good.

AckerVTEC 09-05-2011 09:09 AM

No i do not have a test light :/ but i do have a volt meter. Should i try switching the two honda power wires?

piggylover1985 09-05-2011 09:19 AM

Just make sure both power wires have 12v and all grounds are good

AckerVTEC 09-05-2011 10:07 AM

the grounds are connected but neither of the power wires are reading 12v when i use the meter...

idk whats wrong

piggylover1985 09-05-2011 10:15 AM

Check all the wires, there should be 1 constant 12v and another 12v with key on. If not check for blown fuse.

piggylover1985 09-05-2011 10:25 AM

You can always run another wire from battery positive to the radio, jump the 2 positive wires from the radio into the 12v from battery to test the radio.

AckerVTEC 09-05-2011 10:29 AM

which fuse/fueses would i check for the wires to the stereo and which box/panel are they located ?

i wouldnt know what i was doing to try the wire to the battery thing you mentioned. I have a feeling its the fuses

piggylover1985 09-05-2011 12:28 PM

Check fuse number 9 passenger side

AckerVTEC 09-05-2011 10:21 PM

So i think we may have found the issue lol fuse number 9 on passenger side is a little yellow 20amp and its black in the middle and the wires busted lolz so ill need a new fuse...

should solve the prob?

piggylover1985 09-06-2011 05:28 AM

Put a new fuse in with the same rating and find out, make sure none of the tripped wires are touching ground or metal, that will cause a short and take out the fuse again.

AckerVTEC 09-07-2011 12:34 AM

Alrighty so ive finished the project and it is al working beautifully...this is undoubtedly thanks to you. I really do appreciate your wonderful help in the process of configuring my system. Its the seventh system Ive installed but i have never had the issues that came about with this vehicle haha. I couldnt have done it without your knowledge!

It sounds absolutely amazing.

Thanks for all your time and help. :))

i will prolly have other questions in the future :)

piggylover1985 09-07-2011 01:02 AM

You're making my shy lol. I'm glad that it turn out to be good, we are here to help each other out, and we will be here when you need more help, who knows the next time i maybe the one that need help. Good luck and stay safe my friend.

JimBlake 09-07-2011 08:16 AM

I'm gonna move this thread over to A/V Electronics where it fits better.

piggylover1985 09-07-2011 04:04 PM

Thanks Jim

keep_hope_alive 09-08-2011 12:32 PM

thanks for taking this one. i don't venture out side of A/V, not enough time in the day. :)

piggylover1985 09-08-2011 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive (Post 254127)
thanks for taking this one. i don't venture out side of A/V, not enough time in the day. :)

That's why you're locked-up in here :-)

AckerVTEC 09-08-2011 06:51 PM

figured i might as well ask this question here... lol

i have the subs pumping bass like nobody's business... is there a product i can put in my truck to quit it from rattling? lol

my silverado never rattled but then again it didnt have a trunk >.<

piggylover1985 09-08-2011 07:14 PM

Maybe dynamat ?

keep_hope_alive 09-09-2011 10:07 PM

rattles come from several places.

first is usually the trunk latch itself. if the rattle goes away when you put pressure on the trunk lid, a few wraps of electrical tape on the loop will give temporary relief. after use the tape wears through, and new tape is needed.

another source of rattles are the many pieces in the rear deck - and sometimes any rear speakers you have in the rear deck will make noise from the sub pressure.

rattles inside the car can include the rear view mirror, sun visors, dome light, and any loose change. if you don't like rattles, you'll find yourself keeping your car very clean.

i've seen the seam between the bumper and the body rattle before. we put weatherstripping on the top bumper lip to fix that once.

the tail lights will rattle, the spare tire will rattle, the spare tire tools will rattle, the trunk panels have hard plastic which can rattle.

anything hard that is touching or just barely not touching anything hard can rattle when you get loud bass.

i spend a lot of time quieting rattles. with every rattle you solve, you hear another, and another. but you can get a rattle free car with time and effort. foam is your friend.

keep_hope_alive 09-09-2011 10:11 PM

sound deadening materials like Second Skin, Dynamat, Raammatt, etc. can help increase panel mass and provide some damping. this can provide some rattling relief, but deadener alone is not sufficient. even deadener has a hard aluminum skin, creating another surface for rattles.

i strip a car down to bare metal. deaden the entire thing, then cover the deadener with foam, or carpet, or felt, etc. something thin and soft. then when i reassemble, i add foam/felt/carpet between each piece that goes on. it makes for a quiet car.