Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Subwoofer backfire. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/subwoofer-backfire-12886/)

HuYnHness 10-01-2007 01:28 PM

RE: Subwoofer backfire.

yeah my car does have the radio and climate control built in together. i dont really want to use the lower dashkit because i sorta want to do something else down there (possibly a carputer if i have enough money down the road) and im not trying to bandaid it at all. im not using any of those things (rca adapters or ground loop isolators) at the moment. its just that i dont really have to money to really spend on a headunit and a dashkit. thats why i'm using my mp3player. the reason i wanted the rca adapter before was because i was pretty satisfied with the factory headunit (6 cd changer dual w/ climate control) and i didnt want to spend so much on it but now i actually have to. msot of the stuff i have in there i either already had or bought for fairly cheap.

falkore24 10-01-2007 03:49 PM

have you tried to turn up the amp gain a bit and reduce the mp3 player volume? this will make less noise. What about using the stock setup with a converter for the sub? You can get the mp3 player to work with the stock headunit using a wired FM modulator. I'm not really sure of your goals or needs here.

korrupt1 10-01-2007 06:21 PM

aha! more info! falkore is right...turn down that mp3 player...too much distortion.

I didn't even have to buy a dash kit for my 91....cut the map pocket off the original dash piece with a dremel (my dash was completey screwed from a theft so it really didn't matter) and siliconed that to under the new deck I bought and the whole thing slid right in and I put about 50 screws (aint getting stolen again! LOL) and then the deck slid into place all locked in.

damn lucky I was and I think I spent maybe $140 on a pioneer mp3 capable deck with a aux input which I run either my iPod thru or my satellite radio.

and no more of that carputer biz for me....was gonna get one for the legend but found guys with 5% tints done that still couldn't see em unless it was night time.....and most have already pulled theirs and sold them off

I'm just working on a more permanent way to power my iPod and get it t play through a portable dvd player and still have all the sound and have the iPod keep its screen up at the same time

19Accord97 10-01-2007 09:08 PM

Ive got the same MP3 player and plug it into my deck via the input jack. I usually do the same, turn the volume all the way up on the mp3 player and then adjust the deck accordingly. Never had a problem. But I always turn the bass boost off on the Zen when I plug it in.

HuYnHness 10-02-2007 12:45 AM

my need for the mp3 player is because i burned out my factory headunit. if it wasnt for that i wouldnt be using the mp3 player at all. and well i might be able to try turning up the gains a little but my mid amp cant go very much higher without constant whining. ill just deal with it for now and try to get a cheap headunit.

korrupt1 10-02-2007 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Ive got the same MP3 player and plug it into my deck via the input jack. I usually do the same, turn the volume all the way up on the mp3 player and then adjust the deck accordingly. Never had a problem. But I always turn the bass boost off on the Zen when I plug it in.
yaa, no bass boost, vloume up, and adjust deck as needed....I run custom EQ setup, highs and mids adjusted to liking, no bass assist, subwoofer on but adjusted to a comfortable level and real happy with my little setup....but always on a quest for more

MacLeod 10-03-2007 06:52 PM

Your amp is clipping.

When you set your gain youre matching the amps input to the HU's output so when the HU's volume is at 50%, the amp is at 50%. If the gain is set too high then when the HU is at 50% the amp could be at 75% so when you crank the HU to 75% the amp is maxed out and as soon a a big bass note hits it clips the amp.

What this means is that the amp can no longer draw in enough current to reproduce that bass note and it "overloads" and sends out an extremely distorted signal at a power level limited only by the input voltage so your 350 watt amp is sending out about an 800 watt signal at 10% THD which severly overdrives your sub and it bottoms out. This can kill your sub.

Turn down the gain on the amp OR turn off all the bass boost. This can also push your amp beyond its limits. If its not loud enough for you, get a bigger amp but trying to get this one to pound may wind up turning your sub into a fancy paper weight.