Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Subwoofer Question... In-vs-Out (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/subwoofer-question-vs-out-17989/)

sUbLiMe96 04-23-2008 11:19 AM

Subwoofer Question... In-vs-Out

Ive got 3 Quality Subs in my car with ample power going to them, and they are All faced In with theCone facing the Enclosure... They dont sound Great...
Can Anyone Knoweldgeable tell me how much of a difference it would be for me to have themmounted in vs. out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10481/80FDECC428C444A4BD22EE1EEFD37D7C.jpg[/IMG]

falkore24 04-23-2008 11:31 AM

RE: Subwoofer Question... In-vs-Out

Calculate the enclosure volume in both positions and compare to the speaker specs. With the speaker out of the box, the enclosure is going to have more volume.

sUbLiMe96 04-23-2008 11:53 AM

hmmm, okay... I know my builder did it to specs (atleast i told him to.....)
but maybe He did do it with assumption of speaker facing correct way...

But if all volumes are correct, Is there a Sound Difference having it face in vs. out ?

t00fatt 04-23-2008 12:32 PM

I honestly don't know and am only guessing. If its a ported box, there may not be big difference. But if its a sealed box I think it would be better mounted the normal way. If your not happy with the way they sound try flipping them and see how it sounds. Another thing is I think a 40hz or 50hz sound needs about 5 feet before you can hear them, so maybe its because they are too close.

BTW R.I.P Brad Nowell, one of the greatest

sUbLiMe96 04-23-2008 12:41 PM

that is a VERY good point...(man i feel dumb)... Yeah, they are too close...Every1 outside the car is getting the good stuff, lol.
guess i cant do anything bout it now... (I JUST redid my system this way earlier this month...)
I had a different setup with lower quality equipment in the trunk and had it bump deeper...
Oh and yes its a sealed encloser... Maybe i can have it ported out toward the trunk?

t00fatt 04-23-2008 01:04 PM

To make it ported requires more then just adding a hole, so look into that before trying that. I think though if you flip them you will see an improvement. If I remember correctly from the years ago I researched boxes, most of the sound in a sealed box comes from the cone, whereas in a port most of the bass comes from the port and box. So if most of the sound is coming from the cone on a sealed box, then with the sub mounted reverse you would have less cone displacement because of the driver covering half the cone. I'm pretty baked so I could be totally off, and remembering something totally false lol.

MacLeod 04-24-2008 05:04 PM

No sound difference, just looks. You could try flipping the polarity of the subs. It is possible theyre out of phase with your midrange speakers and youre getting some cancelation.

finch13 04-24-2008 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: t00fatt
I'm pretty baked so I could be totally off, and remembering something totally false lol.
You crack me up! Are we having a stoner revelation?

sUbLiMe96 04-25-2008 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: MacLeod

No sound difference, just looks. You could try flipping the polarity of the subs. It is possible theyre out of phase with your midrange speakers and youre getting some cancelation.

ok, maybe 6 years ago i would of known what this meant...Can you please elaborate a little for me !!!!

falkore24 04-25-2008 10:09 AM

^^ Try swapping the main leads and see if it sounds better.