Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   subwoofer questions. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/subwoofer-questions-22912/)

EBK142 01-14-2009 09:17 AM

subwoofer questions.

some people have told me that if you bolt your box to the floor of your trunk itll sound better. where do i bolt it? and ive been told capaciters make them hit louder. i have 2 12" 1300watt xplods running on a 1200 watt xplod amp. in a sealed box. is that the right box? and is there anyone out there who would know how to tune the amp to sound better? and if i was to go with some new speakers what you recommend?

finch13 01-14-2009 10:27 AM

RE: subwoofer questions.

ORIGINAL: EBK142

some people have told me that if you bolt your box to the floor of your trunk itll sound better. where do i bolt it? and ive been told capaciters make them hit louder. i have 2 12" 1300watt xplods running on a 1200 watt xplod amp. in a sealed box. is that the right box? and is there anyone out there who would know how to tune the amp to sound better? and if i was to go with some new speakers what you recommend?
1. Bolting the box will do nothing but stop the box from sliding around. If you want a little bit better/louder sound, Ive had a good experience moving the box as far towards the rear of the car as possible with the subs firing at the trunk door.

2. A capacitor is basically just a battery to keep the power draw from the car battery steady. When the bass hits itll drain the cap instead of dimming your headlights...

3. There really such a thing as "the right box". I use sealed, some people like ported. Some even venture to bandpass. Basic rule of thumb: Sealed for sound quality, tights hits; Ported for loud bass, sounds kind of muddy

4. There should be basic tuning instructions in the amps manual... but someone who can remember the steps could post... (t00fatt)

Hopefully t00fatt will come on and add to what I said.

EBK142 01-14-2009 10:59 AM

alright well I listen to rap. not the like 50 cent kid stuff but like southern rap. it has a lot of bass to it and im just trying to see what I can do to make it sound the best. with your descriptions of ported and sealed it sounds like ported is what I want. what I was told about boltng the box down was that you put it as close to the trunk and bolt it there so u get the most bass. and it never moves. but I've heard polk audio makes more serious speakers. is that the way I should go? or is there a less expensive way to get the same good sound

Briggz 01-14-2009 01:46 PM

There is a big difference between sound quality and hard hitting bass for rap systems... Since you have 2600 watts of subwoofer, and 1200 watts of amp... and since you say you like southern rap, I'm going to assume you simply want the hard hitting system. I don't suspect you'll be listening to classical orchestras too often in your car. I don't think you need to necessarily go to something as expensive as Polk audio tends to be if you just wanna drop bass to Ludacris and Lil Wayne. I would read a few reviews of speakers you find on crutchfield.com and make an educated decision from there. Do you have a headunit or a 4way amp for the speakers?

Briggz 01-14-2009 01:47 PM

AND....

Here is an extremely detailed tutorial on tuning your amp...

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/...howtopic=35875

t00fatt 01-14-2009 03:29 PM

If you want any good bass or loud bass your going to have to get rid of those subs. Sony just about makes the worse subs and amps in the industry. I also hope they are the round ones and not the octagon ones, those really like to xplod. Also understand that that amp does not putout the power it say it can nor can those subs take that much power.

Honestly if you want to get any kind of loudness out of that setup your going to have to go ported. Those subs aren't good enough for a sealed box. A Sealed box is better than a ported as it will be louder through the entire range, a ported will peak on the lows, and you going to need every DB you can get, you also don't seem to be the type that cares about SQ.

Tuning your amp is very easily done even without a multi tester and test tracks. With a quality set up you want to make sure it is tuned to near perfect, but with this there is no need to beat your self up tuning this amp. Never go past the noon (halfway) position on your amp, I would say half way between noon and the start is a good starting point. Turn down the gain if you hear any clipping or distortion. As for the crossover I would start at 60hz and move up to about 80hz or 90hz and see what sounds the best. You have to know what it supposed to sound like or you can't do it by ear and should do it the right way. EDIT: I only say this because those xplods will explode even without clipping, so a little clipping is not a big deal in this case. If your going to be running a real sub I would defianlty set the amp the proper way.

If you want the most bang for your buck look no further than a kicker CVX in a sealed box. My single 12" getting feed a true 750w will blow both those subs you have away. And a new CVX is only about $160 and you can run it off the amp you have until you get a quality one.

Tippman7641 01-14-2009 03:38 PM

Ok becasue im to lazyto read all of this

and im gonna be brutally honest about sony, so please dont take offense

Sony xplod is probably not Putting out that kind of watts, it might saw 1200W and have "max" written in tiny barely visble letters written right next to it, and is honestly maybe putting out 500w rms

Caps for that kinda system... ehhhh not really

for deep tunes and hard hits i would say a ported box

bandpast boxes are in fact the best BUT if they are tuned to you particular vehicle

I myself have 1 12' 48 lb sub with double stacked farnhide(or bad spelling haha) magnets, its rated at 500 watts

its made by planet audio, i have reached a 130dbs, but thats as high as our soud meter went(it gave 3 dashes-), its in a 2 1/2 cuft box

my amp is a memphis pr 1.500 class d monoblock amp, i have never really been able to turn it up all the way becasue its so loud, the sub and amp togther cost about $1000,

my recomentions for amps, Kicker(makes exclent amps, not so much subs), memphis, focal

Subs: planet audio BEFORE 2008, kicker, focal

my info not only come from me, but from Chris Chrompton, one of the best car audiophiles in the conuntry, who has many many many awards for his setups

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/4...5080858lj9.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1...8081752rm3.jpg
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8...7081830gz3.jpg
http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/7...5080844hh6.jpg
BTW thats my foot^ just so you know how big it really is

t00fatt 01-14-2009 04:06 PM

Whoa Whoa Bandpass is by far the WORST box. The bandpass only has a range of about 20hz, most people hate ported because of their small range, a bandpass has an even even smaller range and sounds worse on the high end than a ported. A bandpass will allow you to squeeze very last DB out of your sub and amp but can only produce a very small range loudly. Everything else you said is about right but I wouldn't go around recomending any type of bandpass.

Tippman7641 01-14-2009 04:08 PM

i have herd when tuned to your vechiles resonate frequency it sounds the best

t00fatt 01-14-2009 05:25 PM

That's hilarious, if you were to play the resonant frequency of your car it would shake then wobble as it resonates, the last thing you want to do is make your car resonate. Who ever said that to you disregard everything they ever told you. That's one of those things that gets passed around a highschool.