Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Thump Purchased (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/thump-purchased-23756/)

Azrael 02-24-2009 05:57 AM

Thump Purchased

Well, I finally came off the bucks and bought my amp and my subs. I ended up getting the Kicker zx1000.1 amp that pushes a stable 1000w @ 2ohms. The subs are Kicker Comp CRV 12" mounted in a vented Kicker box and pre-wired @ 2ohms. here's the links

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

t00fatt 02-24-2009 09:25 AM

Dude don't waste those CVRs on that amp! A single 15" CVX will blow both those subs away and take up less room. I really hope that you didn't make this post AFTER you bought it, what would be the point of that.....

EDIT: Well it seems you already bought them. CVRs are not bad subs, I used to have them. They are very durable and will last you. But a single 15" CVX will sound better and be marginally louder. Why would you make this post after you bought them? Whats the point of getting opinions after you bought it? Doesn't makes sense really.

Azrael 02-24-2009 05:34 PM

i kinda prefer the sound of 12"s over 15"s , Im weird like that though. however, I do plan on blowing these and replacing them with the Kicker DVX. I think that is what they are called. The ones they made as a round version of the solo's.

And I posted it after the purchase so we could possibly discuss the purchase, Install, and pretty much just talk about it. Which You and I are currently taking part in.

t00fatt 02-24-2009 05:42 PM

I'm not too excited about those subs, I think the L7 will be better in that case and I'm not a big fan of the L7. But the 15" CVX sounds great! I've only heard one but I was really pleased. I would say the 15" had just about as good SQ as my 12". I also hate 15"s as I listen to rock. Let me tell you though, I also used to think a 15" couldnt possibly sound good, but nothing could be further from the truth. There are 15"s out there with great SQ, the CVX being one of them.

EDIT: Also if your going to run two CVXs or L7s, you will need more power. You don't need to run two subs. Two subs is never ever twice as loud, only a bit more loud. But having two drivers with less power is not a loud as one driver with more power. Subs are not very efficient and need a certain amount of power or your just wasting power. That 1000.1 amp is a big amp, and having more than one quality sub takes more than 1000.1 . This two sub phenomenon is only with kids. Stepping up to two subs is a BIG step, not the standard.

Azrael 02-24-2009 05:46 PM

Now that I think about it, I think that was the reason I didnt like 15's. I listen to rock and from what I remember I wasnt very pleased. Its been years since I have heard another 15.

t00fatt 02-24-2009 05:52 PM

Well a lot of 15"s produced now don't sound good, as it is hard to make a 15" that is strong and sounds good. There are many things involved, but I think it mainly has to with the mass of the cone, and the strength and rigidity of the cone. The cone has to be light but also very strong and not flex with the greater surface area. Try and see if you can hear a 15" CVX. If you like rock I would stay away from that new kicker sub and the L7. Although some say the L7 sounds good, and have won SQ comps I think they are one note wonders, but that is just my opinion.

EDIT: Oh and I looked up the new kicker sub and remembered why I wasn't excited about it. It's called the soloclassic, and is nothing at all like the solox(not that the solox is good). Apparently it just can handle a smaller enclosure, and less power. They are also only rated up to 100hz like the L7 which makes me suspicious.

pham9006 02-26-2009 01:26 AM

your purchase of CVR's wasnt a bad choice. I had two 12's just until last week i switched it out with a single 12 inch L7. honestly i miss my cvr's because the SQ was amazing and were able to hit all the high and low notes. the L7 is loud with a lot of bass. But t00fat was right about them CVX's. Those babies rock!! i went to my friends audio store and asked to hear them and man two 12's is all you need! i havent compared 2 L7's and 2 CVX's but it is the same thing just different shape. but they say sound waves are ment to be circular, not square. Personallly, i may switch to CVX's in the long run.

t00fatt 02-26-2009 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by pham9006 (Post 157862)
but they say sound waves are ment to be circular, not square. Personallly, i may switch to CVX's in the long run.

Lol that is a load of BS. The square is not a good shape for a cone. It takes more mass to make it strong enough, which is basically why it's a one note wonder. A circle which is really like a dome with speakers, is much stronger. The circular cone has the added strength and rigidity just from the arch in the cone, so it can be lighter and stronger than a square. The CVRs do sound good, but they don't take enough power to give it that next level of bass sound. A High powered sub sounds a lot better to me than two quality low powered subs. Also I'm no expert, so this is nothing more then my opinions and observations.