Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Tutorial: Door speakers (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/tutorial-door-speakers-6789/)

19Accord97 01-03-2007 01:13 AM

Tutorial: Door speakers

I just installed one Lightning Audio 6.5 door speaker, and it wasn't to uer friendly so i'll try to make a guide to help out others doing the same. As I can only post 5 pictures, I tried putting the main ones.
Please note, this is a guide and I take no responsibility for any damage or any other problems caused when using this guide.
If you have any questions or need any help, ask the member on the HAF forum, send me a pm, or e-mail me at fishindude00@hotmail.com with "HAF Help" in the title. I hope it goes well for you!

Also, sory for the dark pictures....I forgot to fix them with the backlighting option.

What you need:
Philips Screwdriver
Small flat head screwdriver
Big flat head screwdriver with cloth wrapped around it (to remove the door panel from the door)
A cup (to put all the screws in)

I would also recommend a Dremel if your stock mount needs modified. And if your new speakers dont make a perfect seal then I would also recommend hot glue.

Getting Started:

Pry the triangle off with the small flat head scredriver being careful not to let it slip and scratch the window or door panel.
2. Pry the small clip out.
3. Look inside the cupholder, remove the cover covering the screw, remvoe the screw. If your cubby has sticky candy or what not, this would be a good time to clean it. Take the plastic cubby, fill your sink with hot water, add dish soap, and let it sit while you work on installing your speaker. When you are done, simply take it our, and use a paper towel to remove the gunk.
4. This is a little tricky. Remove the small circular cover right behind/above the door handle. Remove the screw, grab the door handle and VERY gently pull it out. It will come out slighty because it is attatched to three things (see picture).
First you will see a bar on the right with a piece of pink plastic holding it in place. With your small flat hear, push the pink plastic piece free from the bar. This will allow the bar to be pulled up houe the the door handle lever and free it. Next, unclip the door switch and window harness.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/EA84DF92BCB14AD896F8B6F9E7ED5010.jpg[/IMG]

Here is the pink clip behind the door handle.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/E07D631B392D44A4B6C0D428C25CCAD8.jpg[/IMG]

After its unhooked, slip the cloth covered flat head behind the panel, beginning towards the left side of the door and start carefully prying. They will begin to pop and you can finish it with your hand. Just take it slow, and dont forece anything. Then lift up on the panel and remove it. But WAIT! Don't yank the panel away yet. The courtesy light wiring is still connected to the panel and wont let it go very far. So reach down and unplug it and you are set.

5: Remove the speaker and its plastic mounting harness. There shoule be 6-8 screws.

6: If your speak is to big for the plastic mount you need to cut the back out and possiblty more.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/D9023003024841ACA71AD7B2A4849DE2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/7E081FDD50084042A97318B1C49BED2B.jpg[/IMG]

7:
With my speaker, it would still not fit even with the back cut off, so I had to cut a section of the site out and it helped. The speaker almost sat in the mount perfectly, so I sealed it with some gasket tack, but hot glue worked even better.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/B5096ED0F98A44C5859FE1FF9614CA75.jpg[/IMG]

Make sure the speaker works before putting it all together, and that the speaker doesnt prevent the window from rolling all the way down. I ziptied the extra wiring to the loom inside the door so it wouldnt get in the way.
Now that your speaker works, put the panel in reverse order and enjoy your premium sound!

If I have left anything out, please let me know and I will update it asap!

sir_nasty 01-03-2007 05:59 PM

RE: Tutorial: Door speakers

Thanks for the tutorial. I was curious though about what the mounting depth of those speakers was. Does it sound better than stock?

19Accord97 01-04-2007 02:07 AM

Hey no problem. Thanks! Its my first one and isnt the best but oh well... The mounting of the speakers was a pain... Even after cutting the back out of the stock mount, I still had to drill/file out sections around the ring so it would drop down( I would def. recommend a Dremel, but I dotn have one..arg). Then, the speaker would cover the mounting holes on the mount so it was a little difficult trying to screw it back to the door and holding the speaker.
But yeah, it def. sounds better than stock. I had one put in last night and could notice a difference...the stock seemed to have more bass, but the new speakers are alot more clear:) But they are both in and i'm happy with them!

19Accord97 08-01-2007 11:16 PM

Mods can we sticky this please?