Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Tweeter Problems 04 accord lx (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/tweeter-problems-04-accord-lx-46716/)

TyWoz91 04-05-2012 04:51 PM

Tweeter Problems 04 accord lx

Im thinking my left tweeter is blown because Im hearing a lot of static. Anyone ever change these? How easy and $$$? Any help or advice would be great!

neophyte 04-05-2012 07:17 PM

it's easy to do. you will need a tweeter with a built in crossover though.

TyWoz91 04-05-2012 08:59 PM

How easy is it? I've never changed tweeters, and how hard is it to change my 5-1/4 in my front doors I tried to pm you but it won't let me

neophyte 04-05-2012 10:38 PM

up on the dash in the corner are the tweeter covers. you simply pop them out. I used a precision screw driver as my trim puller was too big to fit in there.

the doors should be 6.5s. if you pull the door panels you will see the stock speakers. take those out. if you are replacing both the speakers and the tweeters. get a set of components. then wire the factory speaker wire into the crossover that comes with the components. run a set of wire's out from the crossover to the speaker and another set through the dash to the tweeter. you may have to do some modifications to make the new tweeter fit. you can check my build log to see about the speaker replacement. Keep hope alive has some different pictures where he has modified tweeters to fit.

edit: i just saw your pm too. i didnt change mine. I simply disconected them and made tweeter pods for the new ones. but like I said if you pop out the grill on the dash covering them you will see them. not hard to get to. the hardest part is going to be modifying it to hold the new ones.

TyWoz91 04-06-2012 01:44 PM

I plan on replacing all of mine, do you suggest i replace:
my two tweeters on my dash
get components for my doors
and then what for my rear?

neophyte 04-06-2012 07:52 PM

are you wanting to know brands? whatever you do if you are going to go that in depth then it would be best to go ahead and amp the speakers as well.

as far as the rear goes if you are not putting in a sub then put 6x9s back in the rear deck.

keep_hope_alive 04-10-2012 01:41 PM

it depends on what you define as "static". most tweeters either work or don't. it is not common for them to make noises due to damage.

a cheap replacement is to just order a new tweeter from hondapartsdeals. you'll get the OEM cover and harness and it will be plug and play. should be less than $25.

TyWoz91 04-11-2012 07:35 AM

Now both of them seem blown, do you know what size they are? What if I want to go after market? Are the 1"? Do you know of it will be plug and play still?

keep_hope_alive 04-11-2012 07:49 PM

an aftermarket solution is not plug-and-play. it is fairly complex in that you need to include an in-line crossover designed specifically for the tweeters/speakers. decent stand-alone tweeter pairs run around $100 when purchased separately. decent component speakers start at $150 and quickly climb. There is added complexity in that aftermarket tweeters will not mount to factory locations without cutting/mounting and cosmetic modifications. the factory tweeters are rear-mount mylar. you cannot get aftermarket replacements with the same mounting points. so you are drilling a hole in the factory cover to recess your new tweeter, then recovering.

just putting a tweeter under the factory grille will result in a reduction in performance due to it being behind a rigid plastic grille. you really want to get it flush with the dash to gain some off-axis response.

there are many speaker brands that are worthwhile, at any budget. used speakers are an option if you can't afford new or want your dollar to go farther. but then you have risk. each speaker will be a slightly different size and will require new mounting brackets along with new seals. i have a sticky on door speaker installs. while most don't go through all of that effort, the results are much poorer without the extra effort.

if you want to upgrade the entire sound system, then new tweeters and speakers makes sense. the upgrade will cost a couple hundred dollars to make the effort worth it. if you have a factory radio, you want to consider replacing it - which further increases the cost due to the mounting kits. The factory radio will not be able to sufficiently power aftermarket speakers.

if you just want them to work again:
Honda part number: 39120-SDA-A61
Price: ~$12.50 each.

it is also possible the tweeters themselves are fine, and it's just the capacitors that blew. those are replaceable for a few dollars. you just need to verify the size and buy replacement non-polarized axial capacitors.

TyWoz91 04-12-2012 09:47 AM

Now why is it that it needs the built in crossover? are the oem tweeters 1"? Also do the after market ones come with the harness for installation? Im really not worried to much about my tweeters becuase their location is some **** and i dont want to do to much modification, I want to keep the integrity of the dash as much stock as possible.