Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Tweeters (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/tweeters-24262/)

ajohnson 03-20-2009 10:44 PM

Tweeters

I plan on putting tweeters in my 96 LX soon. But I have no idea where they should go. (Stock 4 speaker system). Any suggestions? Thanks.

t00fatt 03-20-2009 11:08 PM

I like the A-pillars, I've heard some problems having them in stock position. If your crazy about sound I would wait for Macleod's input.

ajohnson 03-20-2009 11:14 PM

Thanks. Would mounting them in the door panels be a good idea or not. I've heard of people mounting them in the AC vents/Defrosters, or would I be better off drilling a whole in the dash somewhere?

t00fatt 03-21-2009 12:43 AM

What ever you do, do not mount them in the A/C vents. That has to be the worse idea I've heard, stay away from whoever told you that. Keep in mind tweeters are very directional, and anything in the way will block or mess up the sound. If your not crazy about audio quality or imaging then I would mount them in the stock location. I've just heard with them there, and high frequencies like a woman's voice can shift the staging around.

I can't really give good advice on this, Macleod is our SQ champion and I'm sure has a great opinion on this. So if you want the best answer, it'll be from him, as it usually is. What he knows is leaps and bounds ahead of me, and he's got plenty of experience.

MacLeod 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

I wouldnt say leaps and bounds bro - I usually come in here and just agree with you like in this case. LOL

If youre just wanting to get some better sound so you can have decent tunes while driving to work then just drop them in the stock locations. If youre wanting the best soundstage and imaging then youre gonna have to do some experimentation.

The A pillars are usually the best spot for tweets. Theyre up high enough to pull the stage up, wide enough for decent width but far enough away that they dont beam at you.

In the sail panels usually offers the best width and depending on the tweeter and how powerful they are they can sound really good when on axis but sometimes not as theyre so close to you that theyre like a laser hitting you right in the forehead. If you dont have some way to tune down the output of the tweeters independently of the mids this might not work.

Best way is to take some double sided 3M tape and stick them in various spots and see which ones you like best.

t00fatt 03-21-2009 10:14 PM

Lol no I would definitely say leaps and bounds, all the questions here are the basics. I have absolutely no idea how to tune a system properly with a processor. But I'll be finding out soon, I'm getting an Alpine iDA-X305 HU with a PXA-H100 processor. Any experience with this HU or add on processor? I haven't really starting researching it, but I'm intrigued. I'm sick and tired of my POS HU, the SQ is ok but nothing great, long as your using the ipod. The built in MP3 decompression makes the ipod sound like audiophile quality.

MacLeod 03-21-2009 11:30 PM

Im not too familiar with the new Imprint stuff but Im not sold on things that "auto" tune. I dont trust a computers ear. Hell I dont trust my SPL meter all the time.

If youre really wanting the best tuning flexibility youve got only 2 real choices. 1-you can get an Alpine head unit (preferably one with an optical output) and an H701 which is my personal favorite. Or you can get something like the Clarion 7something that has 6 channel time alignment and 6 channel crossover then buy an Audiocontrol DQS which is a 6 channel, 31 band EQ.

The Alpine is the best way to go because you have all the controls right there in the palm of your hand but using the Clairon/Audiocontrol will work just as well.

t00fatt 03-21-2009 11:42 PM

No I don't really want anything too crazy or complicated. I'm not too crazy about staging, I just really care about clarity and balance. I also tend to blast my music which is no way to really appreciate a perfectly set up system. I like that headunit mostly because of the screen, but I have yet to see one in person. And the processor for the 4v preouts and flexibility. The autotune may not be so great but I'm sure it's a lot better than my ear lol. You can also set it manually, which I will do once learn what I'm doing. I really just want the best signal from my ipod, which I'm not getting at all now.

MacLeod 03-22-2009 12:13 PM

Dude if thats all youre wanting, and this is hard for me to admit being an Alpine man but the best option for that is the Eclipse CD7200. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_099CD72...I.html?tp=5684

This thing has 3 way crossover, time alignment and 11 band parametric EQ. All for $550 shipped!! Nothing else out there can touch this.

status 03-22-2009 12:39 PM

what headunit do you have mac?