Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   USA Spec PA11 Hon2y iPod Interface (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/usa-spec-pa11-hon2y-ipod-interface-16660/)

hpsmith22 03-05-2008 01:41 PM

USA Spec PA11 Hon2y iPod Interface

Has anyone had experience using this device with an MP3 player connected to the aux jacks?
I listen to audio books on an MP3 player and need a way to directly connect it to my 2005 Accord with the in dash 6 CD changer radio. I get to much static with the wireless devices that plug into the lighter plug.

Thanks in advance for any help

saaketham 03-08-2008 11:57 PM

RE: USA Spec PA11 Hon2y iPod Interface

I recently installed this in my 2007 Accord EX-L V6 with 6-disc changer & XM, but no Nav. It took my friend and I several hours to install this, ONLY because we tried to pull out the storage compartment wrong. We had to do it again once more a few days later, because I hadn't pushed the thing into the radio properly. That time, it took us all of 20 minutes starting with the first screw. The sound quality is excellent, and of course, depends on the bitrate of your iPod songs. There is no static, and as a bonus, one of the cables will also charge your iPod. I don't like using playlist mode, which lets you change songs from the steering wheel radio control. So, I only use the RCA-mini-jack cable and it works absolutely fine. I'm happy I went with this option, and not change my headunit or get a second headunit to fit under the dash, and disable the factory stereo. Now, I have full use of the 6-disc changer, AM/FM & XM, along with whatever device I plug the RCA-to-minijack cable into - including my PSP and my iPod. The only problem with the installation is deciding where to hide the box. I ended up putting it in the glovebox and when I use an iPod/PSP, the RCA-to-minijack cable will be visible, unless you leave the iPod in the glovebox.

Its a device that seems expensive for the purpose, but consider the alternatives and you'll see it's worth it.

hpsmith22 03-10-2008 09:53 AM

Thanks for the response. So there is plug on the back of the Honda radio that the unit plugs into?
Does it require any electrical connection?

Thanks again.

saaketham 03-11-2008 08:53 PM

In my case, the XM connection was plugged into the back of the factory radio. I pulled that out, plugged the USA Spec in, and then plugged the XM into the extra harness provided with the Spec adapter. So XM now goes to the radio through the adapter itself. If you don't have XM, then chances are that you have a free port there that you can plug the adapter into. It doesn't require any electrical connection. It draws power from the radio itself, I guess.

ikethegreat 03-12-2008 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: saaketham

In my case, the XM connection was plugged into the back of the factory radio. I pulled that out, plugged the USA Spec in, and then plugged the XM into the extra harness provided with the Spec adapter. So XM now goes to the radio through the adapter itself. If you don't have XM, then chances are that you have a free port there that you can plug the adapter into. It doesn't require any electrical connection. It draws power from the radio itself, I guess.
Thats what I did as well. All you have to do is remove that storage bin in the bottom of the console. I used a mirror to find the plug. Wasnt too tough.

clo 03-14-2008 01:12 PM

I too have the same 07 EX-L V6, XM no navi...and I just bought an Ipod nano...looking at the USA Spec....
So... What about the round red & white RCA cable ports? I am unlcear...are they used in the '07 EX-L ? The USA Spec sketch shows that they go to DVD or Satellite? Do they mean XM? Or is it just as you have described...justunplug the one connector, plug the splitter in, then plug it back into the new splitter port...is that all there is - cable wise? If so, then what is the USA Spec referring to, regarding the red & white RCA ports? Not used in our case?
Also, so you don't have to remove the radio after all?
And, last, will any of this cut power to the radio & require resetting the theft password?

saaketham 03-15-2008 08:10 PM

The adapter has 2 input connection options - RCA or the iPod-specific one. It comes with the iPod connection cable.

You don't have to pull the radio out. After removing some of the dash panels, screws, etc, you'll be able to pull out the storage cubby under the factory radio. After this is out, you can bend way down and peer into the cavity, at the top of which the back of the radio is visible from below. Or you can get a small handheld mirror and save your joints some trouble. You'll see a white rectangular thingy hooked into the radio - in my case, that was the XM. I pulled that out, plugged the adapter's cable into the radio, plugged the XM into the other harness at the end of the adapter cable, and that was it for that end. After putting the adapter box in the glovebox, I can now use either the iPod-specific cable, which also charges the iPod, or use a RCA-to-mini jack cable and use the RCA ports. I use the RCA option for my iPod Video, since I leave my iPod in the cup-holder, and the mini jack port is on the top of the iPod, and not at the bottom like the dock connector, which is where the iPod-specific cable hooks into.

Yes, you will need the radio code. One step involves disconnecting the power outlet near the dash, in front of the gear lever. Battery has to be disconnected for this, and generally for your safety. And so, the radio code will need to be entered. If you do not have the code, you should be able to get it at the nearest Honda dealer.

calavera 03-16-2008 08:00 AM

I just did the install today, and I actually skipped the disconnecting battery partbecause I didnt have a wrench.no radio code hassle. :P
anyways, all I unplugged was the XM cable going into the unit, plug the USA Spec cable in, connect the xm cable into the usa spec. That's it.

I have a 04 ex non-navi model. removing the entire headunit is not that difficult and it allows for easier access to the cables. Also, there's enough room righton top of the head unit behind the dash for the USA spec to be placed. I did this because I didnt want to place it in the glove compartment and constantly open/close to check/control my ipod. I pulled the ipod cable from the usa spec to the center console compartment so I can placemyipodthere instead.

If you use the rca cable, there's a hole in the center console compartmentbig enough to slide it through. the ipod cable however is too big. so I just made it come through the openarea above the sliding door of the centercompartment.Now it doesn'tslide all the way up but I dont care.no cables are visible at all and I have easier access to my ipod. I might drill a hole in the center box later though.

the steering wheel controls work great if you use the ipod cable, but there's a 1sec delay and getting to a specific song is a hassle imo. I will be getting a rca y-cable later so I can switch back and forth when I need to recharge

clo 03-17-2008 10:41 AM

Saak

So, then, why did you have to disconnect the DC voltage line?

Just to be safe? is it really required?

saaketham 03-17-2008 12:05 PM

Just to be safe ... I guess. The instructions that came with it strongly advise this, and I have my radio code, so ...

But, if the above member successfully installed it without disconnecting the battery, then I guess its not required. I'd disconnect the battery though, if I were you, and if I had the radio code. Its easy to enter the code in.