Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   USB/Flash Drive/Hard drive adapter (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/usb-flash-drive-hard-drive-adapter-24706/)

pmatos 04-10-2009 07:22 PM

USB/Flash Drive/Hard drive adapter

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has already installed a USB/Flash Drive/Hard drive adapter . I have 2006 SE 6 CD changer in-dash.no navy or XM. I am trying to get to play mp3/wma files and was looking into several options.

Between the Ipod connector and the interface to use a hard drive/flash drive I want to use the usb/hard drive as it is cheaper to get a hard drive( passport) and connect it to the car ( 400GB!)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...748&CatId=2424
could use that in put in the arm rest.

For the adapter looking into this one:
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...-usb-hon1.html

anyone know about any other adapters like this one? and if so any recommendations?

Thanks guys!:)

19Accord97 04-10-2009 07:45 PM

Well....

I have an aftermarket headunit w/ a USB port. I too got a western digital passport HD, loaded it up w/ music, plugged it in, but it wouldn't work.

Reason: Most portable HD's require TWO usb plugs for low output things like stereos. So be sure you wont need a second usb. Otherwise you would have to get a powered hub and a power inverter to get it to work.

pmatos 04-10-2009 08:45 PM

Ah good suggestion. I thought the power from the adapter would be good enough to power the portable hard drive. I will ask the manufacturer.

So what you have in your radio is USB memory stick?

Thanks for the suggestion

19Accord97 04-10-2009 08:50 PM

It may work, it may not! Just depends on the power needs!

I have a 8 GB toshiba flash drive! Got it for $20.

t00fatt 04-10-2009 09:11 PM

Flash is the way to go for use in a car. I would just get a 16gb or even a 32gb flash drive. HDDs are very susceptible to vibrations, especially 3.5" drives. If you go the HDD route you must use a 2.5" HDD (laptop) or better yet a SDD. 2.5" drives are not cheap and more than enough storage you need for music. I used to have a modded xbox in my last car, I built a small suspension (with RC truck shocks and springs) that would hold the drive vertically. That is the only way to have a 3.5" drive and actually last. Now a days 2.5" drives have more than enough capacity making that pointless, as the 2.5" drives are designed to work with vibrations. If you do go the HDD route, it is best to keep the drive vertical and perpendicular to the ground, this will help prevent the platters and head from crashing in large bumps.

EDIT: Also I don't know if this is the case with all the interfaces, but when I had my stock HU and the PIE AUX interface. At max volume the sound was noticeably quieter than say the radio or CD changer. I would bet money that this is the case with all interfaces though, my speakers were not amped at the time so that may also resolve that problem. I had my stock HU only for a couple months if that.

And if you care at all about true sound I would get rid of the stock HU. The stock HU has a nasty built in EQ that deteriorates the sound quality with real speakers. An aftermarket radio will give the features you want, including steering wheel controls, with added sound quality.

pmatos 04-11-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by t00fatt (Post 166019)
Flash is the way to go for use in a car. I would just get a 16gb or even a 32gb flash drive. HDDs are very susceptible to vibrations, especially 3.5" drives. If you go the HDD route you must use a 2.5" HDD (laptop) or better yet a SDD. 2.5" drives are not cheap and more than enough storage you need for music. I used to have a modded xbox in my last car, I built a small suspension (with RC truck shocks and springs) that would hold the drive vertically. That is the only way to have a 3.5" drive and actually last. Now a days 2.5" drives have more than enough capacity making that pointless, as the 2.5" drives are designed to work with vibrations. If you do go the HDD route, it is best to keep the drive vertical and perpendicular to the ground, this will help prevent the platters and head from crashing in large bumps.

EDIT: Also I don't know if this is the case with all the interfaces, but when I had my stock HU and the PIE AUX interface. At max volume the sound was noticeably quieter than say the radio or CD changer. I would bet money that this is the case with all interfaces though, my speakers were not amped at the time so that may also resolve that problem. I had my stock HU only for a couple months if that.

And if you care at all about true sound I would get rid of the stock HU. The stock HU has a nasty built in EQ that deteriorates the sound quality with real speakers. An aftermarket radio will give the features you want, including steering wheel controls, with added sound quality.

uh good point. I never thought about the vibration issue. The Flash drive seems to be a cheaper option. but it that is the case, may think of getting the US-SPEC IPod since I have an iphone I can then connect it through the iPod interface. I will check with the manufacturer of the device so see what type of hard drive would work with the device or so

I still have factory speakers and radio CDs sound good so I do not expect any issues with the quality.

Thanks!

pmatos 04-11-2009 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by 19Accord97 (Post 166016)
It may work, it may not! Just depends on the power needs!

I have a 8 GB toshiba flash drive! Got it for $20.

8GB nice, and much cheaper that an ipod, isnt it :)

19Accord97 04-11-2009 12:35 PM

Yes sir! Plus it has a couple videos on it.

I am very moody w/ my music. So if I had 30gb i would be pressing skip about 80% of the time and only get a few songs in! :p

pmatos 04-11-2009 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 19Accord97 (Post 166120)
Yes sir! Plus it has a couple videos on it.

I am very moody w/ my music. So if I had 30gb i would be pressing skip about 80% of the time and only get a few songs in! :p

I will have to agree with you on that. The more we have the more we will be pressing skip.

so you have full control from your steering wheel to your Flash USB?

19Accord97 04-12-2009 01:04 AM

No :( I have a 97.

All I have to do is touch the screen...its a touch screen.