Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   What's next? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/whats-next-44849/)

Cody_754 01-06-2012 07:47 PM

What's next?

I'm working on improving my sound system in my 97 Accord SE. I just recently installed a Sony CDXGT550UI stereo, and two Sony Xplod speakers in the front. My next step is to get rear speakers, then tweeters. My question is what exactly does an amp do? I hear people always talking about amplifiers but I don't fully understand what their purpose is. Also, how do I go about installing a subwoofer? I don't want to overdue it like most people. I'm thinking just a 10" or 12" in the trunk. What will I need before I install a sub? Any help is appreciated guys, and thanks! :D

neophyte 01-06-2012 10:08 PM

An amplifier amplifies the power going to the speakers. it gives them more power. it also adds more adjustability.

In order to add a subwoofer you will need:

a subwoofer
An amp
an amp install kit
a box.

your amp kit will include:
power wire.
ground wire
fuse
remote wire
rca cables
speaker wire

you will need to run the power wire from the battery (+) to the amp.
the fuse will need to be in that wire no further than 12" from the battery.
you will need to run the amp to a ground somewhere in the car to ground it.
the remote wire will need to come off of the remote wire on the stereo and run to the amp.
the rcas will go from the back of the head unit to the amp.
the speaker wire from the amp to the sub.

that is very, very basic description. just to give you an idea of the work involved. when/if you decide to do it, I and others would be more than happy to go into great detail on the install.

also tweeters are added when you add components. you are not going to want to just add tweeters. you would need to install components. components come with mid woofers, crossovers, and tweeters. the speakers you have already have tweeters they are just attatched to the speaker. I would not suggest adding more tweeters.

Cody_754 01-06-2012 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by neophyte (Post 265914)
An amplifier amplifies the power going to the speakers. it gives them more power. it also adds more adjustability.

In order to add a subwoofer you will need:

a subwoofer
An amp
an amp install kit
a box.

your amp kit will include:
power wire.
ground wire
fuse
remote wire
rca cables
speaker wire

you will need to run the power wire from the battery (+) to the amp.
the fuse will need to be in that wire no further than 12" from the battery.
you will need to run the amp to a ground somewhere in the car to ground it.
the remote wire will need to come off of the remote wire on the stereo and run to the amp.
the rcas will go from the back of the head unit to the amp.
the speaker wire from the amp to the sub.

that is very, very basic description. just to give you an idea of the work involved. when/if you decide to do it, I and others would be more than happy to go into great detail on the install.

also tweeters are added when you add components. you are not going to want to just add tweeters. you would need to install components. components come with mid woofers, crossovers, and tweeters. the speakers you have already have tweeters they are just attatched to the speaker. I would not suggest adding more tweeters.

Thank you for the advice! I will check back and let you know how it turns out!