Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   whats ur opinion on these subwoofers? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/whats-ur-opinion-these-subwoofers-16232/)

pham9006 02-17-2008 07:01 PM

whats ur opinion on these subwoofers?

well i no longer have two 15 inch mtx subwoofers. someone broke into my car and stole them. Well today i bought two 15 inch power acoustik BM-15W for 150. it was 50 for each sub and 50 for the sealed box?

Was 150 worth it? they knock alright..
[align=left] [/align]

Jay 3rd 02-18-2008 10:44 PM

RE: whats ur opinion on these subwoofers?

yea i heard of them.. they're a great quality sub.. but not known to hit the hardest.. but i cant see how a 15' doesnt hit that hard and only sounds "alright" lol... but for $150 you gota pretty koo deal on it.. if your lookin for max power get that new alpine amp.. i forgot the exact name but best buy just released it 2 weeks ago.. Really good amp... or you can switch to Best Buy brand "INSIGNIA" i heard them and they sound real nice and beat all competitors Price.... should look into those...

t00fatt 02-19-2008 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Jay 3rd
.. but i cant see how a 15' doesnt hit that hard and only sounds "alright" lol...
Actually it's quite the opposite, bigger isn't always better. I had two 15" Kicker CVRs and my one 12" CVX hits harder. Why? Well in the past year I went from listening to mostly dub reggae(kind of like rap) to mostly ska and rock. My 15"s would barley hit with rock which has much higher bass tones, and my 12" would rip them apart. So for a 15" to be good you better be listening to rap, and it better be good quality there is a lot more stress moving a bigger heavier cone. 15"s can't move as fast b/c they weigh more, so they're high end output is diminished. So when in doubt don't just get the bigger sub thinking its louder.

finch13 02-19-2008 05:12 PM

I agree with t00fatt, sub size doesn't matter if your amp doesn't have the balls to back it up. My buddy had a single 10" Alpine Type-R and another buddy had two 12" Type-R's. The 10" hit WAY harder. Even my Type-E's can outperform the Type-R's in certain scenarios. Also important to consider is what kind of car they're in. In the 10" vs. 12" scenario above, the 10" was in a Honda CRV while the 12's were in a Toyota Camry (blah).

pham9006 02-22-2008 07:14 PM

i am curious..
is their anyway to prevent my rear view mirror from shifting out of place??

besides turning down the music and bass level..
im on -4 on bass level and it still rear view mirror still goes straight up...

finch13 02-23-2008 12:05 AM

At least your mirror goes up... mine goes down. I think it was once suggested to pop the mirror off the ball and coat it with rubber cement or silicone caulk and place it back on to hold it in place....

t00fatt 02-23-2008 10:15 AM

Yea I did just that with my last car, I popped it out and sprayed the ball with plasti-dip. Its a rubberizing spray I use for waterproofing and griping for tools. Plasti-Dip.com. I haven't really had the problem with my accord, it happened for a little while then I just moved it around and it stayed in place.

t money 02-26-2008 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

ORIGINAL: Jay 3rd
.. but i cant see how a 15' doesnt hit that hard and only sounds "alright" lol...
Actually it's quite the opposite, bigger isn't always better. I had two 15" Kicker CVRs and my one 12" CVX hits harder. Why? Well in the past year I went from listening to mostly dub reggae(kind of like rap) to mostly ska and rock. My 15"s would barley hit with rock which has much higher bass tones, and my 12" would rip them apart. So for a 15" to be good you better be listening to rap, and it better be good quality there is a lot more stress moving a bigger heavier cone. 15"s can't move as fast b/c they weigh more, so they're high end output is diminished. So when in doubt don't just get the bigger sub thinking its louder.

Wow, a lot of false info in this post my friend. First 15's can move as fast as any other size woofer.IT depends on the built quality of the 15(motor strength) and the box used.. I have two 15's in a sealed box and i would put them up against any 10 or 12's in the higher frequencies and the fast kick drum, fast bass.Also a larger sub of the same company will almost always be louder. If you compare say a 15 inch legacy sub to a 12 inch kicker, the kicker is obviously the better built sub and will most likely get louder that the cheap 15, even though the 15 has more cone area.To the OP, those subs are entry level subs and i think you can do better for the money(buying online though). The 15's being slow and sloppy is a myth, just like underpowering a sub will blow it.;)

t00fatt 02-26-2008 11:30 AM

Well I'm sorry to say but what you said almost agrees with what I said. Yes your 15" may match up with a kicker comp 12" on the higher tones because of driver superiority. But what isn't true about what you said is that a larger sub from the same manufacturer is louder. That is a myth if I've ever heard one. Say with the Kicker CVR series, the 15" is not louder then the 12" in the high ends. Don't believe me, do some research and compare the response curves of each sub. Bigger doesn't mean louder in all frequencies. Each sub size has it own range, thats why different sizes exist. If it was all about size they wouldn't make a sub smaller then 12". The bigger the louder is a myth my friend. There are a different types of loud if you will.

t money 02-26-2008 02:57 PM

you are correct in the way that a 12 inch may play 70hz louder than say a 15. But to say that a 12 is going to be louder is ncorrect, yes louder in some frequencies but not as loud in other frequencies. The size of the woofer has nothing to do with the type of use you listen to.15's can play rock and country as good as 12 or 10's. The only reason one should choose one side over the other is due to space requirements. If you have enough room than i will always suggest 15's. As well anyting above 80hz is mid bass and that should be handled with a good set of components or mid bass speakers.I personally have my subs crossed at 65 hz with my 15;s and with the 12's i had, any higher frequencies are filled in with my mid bass/range.