Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Where do I get Power???? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/where-do-i-get-power-8881/)

mamarotta 04-12-2007 02:25 PM

Where do I get Power????

Hello all. I am writing for some help to install electronics equipment in my accord. Can't decide where to draw juice from. I am trying to install a DVD Player and a couple of headrest lcd TV's. I pretty much understand most of the hookups, but can not figure out where to get the power from safely. Also need room for expansion. What i mean is I would prob. in the near future wanna add some visor lcd tv's and a rear view miror tv for backing up when i get my windows tinted. Its funny but all this stuff is powered. I add up all the draw and it does seam possible to say draw off of my cigaret lighter but what happens when i try to charge my cell. Greatly appreciate the help. thanks...ps the car is all appart and nothing is impossilbe.lol..

marbro 04-12-2007 06:59 PM

RE: Where do I get Power????

if youre willing to do it just run a line from the battery and fuse that, that way you know you wont be pulling too much power from any one line. I think the ciggarete lighter is on a fuse with more then one thing already. At least by running your own power wire you can decide where it goes and how much you actually need out of it

mamarotta 04-12-2007 10:03 PM

that is really a decent idea. When i bought my battery the shop told me that it has like 875 amps...well if i connect anything to that kind of kick directly isnt it going to blow everything..i know the fuse is there but dont i need to limit the current? i am pretty sure this sounts like a lame question but if i fthis up it will cost reall moneyyyyy. thanks anthony

MacLeod 04-12-2007 11:32 PM

Run a power wire straight to the battery and stick a fuse in it BEFORE the wire passes thru the firewall and into the cabin.

Dont worry about too much current coming thru, it wont.

mamarotta 04-13-2007 03:39 PM

what is a good wire guage for this type of application also i noticed newark is good for the fuse asembly

marbro 04-13-2007 03:43 PM

just running what you have listed and planned to add you can run an 8gauge and be safe, you wont ever need more then 4 gauge depending on how much you plan on putting on it in the long run, but you just have to keep in mind that electronic components pull what they need, the only time they could get more is from surges and defective components but thats the purpose of fuses

mamarotta 04-13-2007 05:31 PM

well let me try those gages...let u know soon.

sir_nasty 04-13-2007 05:47 PM

I might suggest adding inline fuses for each one of your components seperately as well, so if one of them surges and has a problem it doesn't cut power to the rest of them.... do a main fuse inside the engine bay just after the battery connection then individual fuses in some place that is going to be fairly easy to access in the future...

mamarotta 04-14-2007 12:22 PM

I have to say thanks for all the great tips...but have to admit im stumpted...I just cant decide where to locate the dvd player and antena for the tv.the antena is a stick to the window kindjust like the radio is in the window...i was thinking to spliceinto the radio antena for the tv signal...but for right now i am confidently thinkingthe majority ofelectronics aregoing in the trunk...way lots of space which just means wire galore, but easy access and lots of room to move things. any suggestions? I was thinking remove the spare and work in that area...flats arent that frequent anyway...lol ok i said it and it wil happen real soon...lol..thanks anthony

marbro 04-18-2007 06:10 PM

you still have a little bit of mounting area in the cab, some stuff you can do under seats, you also hao have part of the center console to mount the dvd player inside, depending on the size of the dvd player of course. I'm just looking at idea's to help you minimize the trunk use for stuff.