Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/canada-over-seas-elsewhere-36/)
-   -   Film on rear window (inside),looks like cig smoke (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/canada-over-seas-elsewhere-36/film-rear-window-inside-looks-like-cig-smoke-55717/)

Hot Brass 07-11-2013 08:29 PM

Film on rear window (inside),looks like cig smoke

New 2013 Accord Touring V6 with 35 km's and the inside back window has this film on it that looks like someone has smoked a whole carton of smokes and the smoke built up on the rear window. Probably just fumes from the plastic and fake leather collecting on the window?. Do you have film on your back window (inside?) Thanks HB

shipo 07-12-2013 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hot Brass (Post 326426)
New 2013 Accord Touring V6 with 35 km's and the inside back window has this film on it that looks like someone has smoked a whole carton of smokes and the smoke built up on the rear window. Probably just fumes from the plastic and fake leather collecting on the window?. Do you have film on your back window (inside?) Thanks HB

Folks have been complaining about the outgassing of the various plastics and such for decades now. The rate at which the film used to build up on my 1979 Scirocco was so high that I had to clean the glass monthly (and no, I don't smoke; never have). Some cars are worse than others, but in this day and age, they all do it.

fvansan 07-12-2013 09:52 AM

I too started to have this film in the top corners of the rear window. It began when I moved to a much hotter climate and seems worse in the summer. It can be removed only to return. It is, what it is.

shipo 07-12-2013 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by fvansan (Post 326458)
I too started to have this film in the top corners of the rear window. It began when I moved to a much hotter climate and seems worse in the summer. It can be removed only to return. It is, what it is.

Like I wrote above, it is the contents of the "outgassing" from the various plastic surfaces, carpeting, and seating materials. As the car ages the amount of build up on the glass will gradually diminish.

fvansan 07-12-2013 01:49 PM

my accord is a 2005 and the fogging began about 3 years ago when I moved to North Carolina. How old does the car have to be?

shipo 07-12-2013 02:13 PM

To be quite honest, the older the better. Why? Because as soon as the outgassing stops, the cracking of the dash and other plastic parts starts. The outgassing is the process which protects the plastic parts from the sun and heat, and as you found out, the warmer the climate, the faster the film on the glass will build up.

Hot Brass 07-14-2013 06:43 AM

Thanks! A PITA to clean along the bottom of the window,maybe 2-3 inches up,close to the third brake light....not much room?! Thanks,HB