Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/detailing-22/)
-   -   cleaning under the hood (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/detailing-22/cleaning-under-hood-17079/)

tmgator14 03-23-2008 12:22 PM

cleaning under the hood

I see all the pictures of engines that are super clean. wats the best way to clean my engine. Thanx for the help.

RondaTheHonda 03-23-2008 01:02 PM

RE: cleaning under the hood

Hey My borther used to have a prelude when he cleaned under the hood he used a degreser im not sure of which kind but i hope the rest of the guys can give you a lil bit more insight than me Goodluck and have fun. Oh and just a heads up taking off the grease can also lead to rust. but not for a while i guess it also depends if it snows in your region.

knock3mdead 03-25-2008 07:44 PM

I always use tire foam to make everything look clean. just make sure the engine is running so you dont have any problems.

falkore24 03-26-2008 08:41 AM

NOOOOOO!!! Don't grease everything up with tire foam!!! Windex is a pretty good degreaser. After that, I wipe my engine compartment out with a microfiber cloth and either water or detailer spray.

RTexasF 03-27-2008 03:01 PM

Here's some good information:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15507

mak 04-02-2008 03:23 PM

I'm thinking about cleaning my engine bay.. honestly, I don't think it's ever been cleaned, and it's a '91!

I was thinking about doing;

1.) Plastic bags over the alt, starter, ignition coil, etc
2.) Spray it down with a pressure washer
3.) Hand dry major components
4.) Start the car and let the moisture vaporize

Do I need to use a degreaser? I understand it'll help to get it cleaner, quicker.. but I have none on hand and don't want to go to the store right now..

-mak

RTexasF 04-03-2008 08:57 AM

You can do it half assed or do it right.....pick one.

finch13 04-03-2008 10:06 AM

Use a degreasing DETERGENT in a spray bottle and spray everything down. Let is soak, pressure wash off, hand dry/rub grease off with rags. Please do not use a degreaser made with petroleum distillates or the like. You don't want that crap running down the driveway or into the environment.

mak 04-03-2008 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

You can do it half assed or do it right.....pick one.
FYI: I don't half ass things, I didn't want to buy degreaser if I didn't need it, nor did I want to spray my engine with chemicals unless I had to in order to get it clean - thus the reason I asked. There's absolutely no reason for you to be rude in response to an honest question.

ORIGINAL: finch13

Use a degreasing DETERGENT in a spray bottle and spray everything down. Let is soak, pressure wash off, hand dry/rub grease off with rags. Please do not use a degreaser made with petroleum distillates or the like. You don't want that crap running down the driveway or into the environment.
I'm still worried about water running into the spark plug cylinders, since they sit at an angle on the rear of the engine.. even though there are rubber seals around them, I feel like I should be worried about it.

Anyways, I'll pick up some eco friendly degreaser and have at it this afternoon, thanks for the info.

-mak

falkore24 04-03-2008 12:43 PM

Use a damp rag to start, then determine exactly what you need to do. I don't like the idea of spraying under the hood either, but it's done all the time without problems .... after all, the car doesn't have a problem driving on the highway in heavy rain and the air that blows through the grille is basically the same asa pressure washer.

I clean under the hood by hand only.