Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Answers. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/diy-answers-28/)
-   -   Bypass bad or Locked air conditioning compressor on 3.0 vtech (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/diy-answers-28/bypass-bad-locked-air-conditioning-compressor-3-0-vtech-54874/)

duffysco 05-18-2013 06:43 PM

Bypass bad or Locked air conditioning compressor on 3.0 vtech

Ok everything I could find on this gave no good instructions wether this could be done. It can but here is what you must do. You can leave the bad air compressor where it is. This is on the 6th gen 2002 Honda accord with 3.0 vtech. Power steering in the middle of the top of motor. Remove belt. Purchase a 41 1/2 inch six rib belt. Five if that is all they have. Now the tensioner is used but is not going to need to be moved because it wont help. Just make sure the back of belt is what rides on tensioner. Remove small screw on alternator that holds wiring. Remove wire plug from alternator. Now there are two bolts holding the alternator. A 14mm at the 7 oclock position and a 12mm at the 12 oclock position. Looking from passenger side. Once removed the alternator is loose then you can move it around. Here is the tough part. Get the belt wrapped around the bottom largest pulley on bottom of engine. Now the bottom belt will go up and over the tensioner. Top belt (same belt just top portion) goes up and over alternator . So up over alternator and down and over tensioner. Now your alternator moves freely. Take the 14mm bolt and keeping the belt on move alternator into position to replace the 14mm. DO NOT LET BELT COME OFF. Once bolt is in you will notice that you have a pivot point. Now go in garage and find a piece of one inch wide flat steel one and one half inches long. Drill two holes one inch apart with size big enough for top 12mm to fit through. Do not make an oblong adjustment hole just a plain hole (both) attach one end of steel where the 12mm goes to engine. Now find yourself a one inch long bolt 1/2 inch head and nut. Flat washer and lock nut. If you look closely you will see if alternator is too far forward the belt going over the tensioner and top belt are too close together. Just follow my directions and your tension on belt will be fine. Its only running the alternator and it will be fine. Put 1/2 inch bolt through alternator now tighten both. Making sure the whole time the belt stays in position. Takes a while to get that 14 in but keep working at it. Now you will see that you have good tension, all belt is clear to run. And you didnt have to take off air compressor on front lower engine. This will cost $8 to $12 dollars for the belt and a buck for bolt and nut. The compressor is a complicated long fix. Fan has to come out and its a pain. $300 for a new one and 100 for a used junk yard one that works. This will buy you time and work great. I hope this helps you guys cuz I wish I could have read this. Take care and yes my car runs great and belt is still on. Just a little warm without AC.