Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Answers. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/diy-answers-28/)
-   -   Remove inner door panel when door won't open... (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/diy-answers-28/remove-inner-door-panel-when-door-wont-open-55044/)

Kelsen 05-29-2013 02:55 PM

Remove inner door panel when door won't open...

2004 Accord Coupe

Not long ago, I replaced my passenger door power lock actuator. After I put everything back together, it all worked great. Shortly, though, the door would not open (it was unlocked) using either the inside or outside handle.

This makes taking off the inner door panel (in order to press the latch and open the door) nearly impossible.

Here's what worked for me:

I knew that the clips that hold the inner door panel on could be pulled out fairly easily; the problem is not having much room to pull, with the door closed.

This was on my '04 coupe, which has a longer door than a sedan; I think that made my method easier.

Make sure that you remove the snapped-in triangle of plastic that covers the screws for the outside mirror, in the front corner of the window. If this is not removed, it will block the panel coming off.

Make sure you remove the two screws under the plastic panel behind the door handle inside.

Make sure you remove the windows and lock controller from the door panel. It has no screws (on my year and model) and just snaps in to place.

With the window down, I leaned in from the outside of the car, and grabbed the plastic of the inner door panel, with my hands 1 1/2 to 2 feet apart. This is so I pulled against several of the pins at once.

The bottom of the panel has 4 of the clips, and the bottom provides the most space to pull the panel away from the door. The front of the panel offers the least space, and there are 2 clips there. I was able to disconnect the 2 clips on the back (that is, toward the rear of the car) side of the panel once the bottom clips were loosened.

I was then able to remove the panel, working it forth and back some. I did break the 2 clips in the front, but they are easily replaced.

Before you can take the inner door panel completely out, you need to disconnect door handle cable. You can do this once you have pulled the inner door panel away from the door, before you lift it up (to get it over the door lock) and take it off the door altogether.

I hope this helps some folks.

Dave Kelsen

95Coupe_360 05-30-2013 04:23 AM

Actually great info...think that is what my problem was when looking on my coupe to take panels off(windows are really sluggish) this weekend i will try it and see the outcome on a 95 coupe

WheelBrokerAng 09-21-2013 01:27 AM

Good post David, Thank you for the good information you posted.

WheelBrokerAng :)

Gabriel Anthony Sanchez 04-07-2020 11:46 PM

I just had this same problem with my 2005 Accord Coupe Ex. I couldn't get the driver door open from the inside or outside for a good 2 weeks. The previous owner had replaced the latch cable and installed it backwards hence why it broke over time. In order to get the door open, I had to remove the driver and passenger seat to have enough space to remove the door panel without breaking anything to gain access to the cable. I ordered the OEM cable from my local Honda dealership for $15.00. Will be replacing the cable tomorrow, hopefully I do not run into any issues.