Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Do-It-Yourself Section (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/)
-   -   1992 Honda Accord Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement Instructions (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/1992-honda-accord-timing-belt-water-pump-replacement-instructions-55543/)

zacharyzoosh 06-28-2013 07:23 PM

1992 Honda Accord Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement Instructions

I just recently did a timing belt and water pump replacement on a 1992 Honda Accord. (All models have same 2.2 liter configuration)
I am posting to give a basic overview and a few tips for other DIYers.
Tools: all basic sockets and extensions mostly 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 17mm. Lugs and crank shaft bolts 19mm.
Serpentine/V belt tensioners are manual

The main thing with this job is to get a good kit. I bought a kit which didn't come with tensioner springs for the timing belt tensioners (x2) which seems like the most important part. You can manually tension the two timing pulley but its not easy.

Process:
Remove both v belts from power steering (top) and AC (lower) and mark the belts because they are similar size but not the same.
Remove drivers side front wheel and jack up car on stands.
Remove ground wires and other things in the way and unbolt valve cover.
Place a jack and a block of wood under engine oil pan to sturdy and remove the motor mount in front of timing cover.
Crank engine around in the operating direction (counter clockwise) until you get the top cam shaft gear's "UP" indicator to point sort of up to the right (like up in the sense of the up at the angle of the tilted engine.
Walk around to the area just below to the right of the Distributor cap. Look at the bell housing of the transmission and on the top there is an access window to see the flywheel. There is a guide that the flywheel will align with. There is a mark on the flywheel. Make sure the mark is aligned with the guide to decree you're at top dead center.
You may have to crank the engine around a few times before it lines up. Remember that the cam crank will spin multiple times for the whole system to come around again.
Also pull off the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing toward the first spark plug wire position on the cap. First plug is the one closest to timing cover. First plug location on cap is facing toward front of car.
Once at top dead center stick a long bolt into the rear balance shaft access hole. This is easy to find don't worry. If you look into the wheel well on the lower right side of timing cover and around to the back side of engine you will see a large torx plug and next to it a smaller normal bolt (14mm I believe.) remove that bolt. If you're at top dead center you'll be able to slide a long skinny bolt into there and lock up the gear. It's easier to see what you're affecting with the timing cover off so take that completely off if you're unsure. But the bolt in now makes getting the crank shaft bolt off.
I used a nice electric impact wrench to get the crank bolt off.
Don't let the engine turn. So use a good impact. Don't try to use a long bar or anything.
My bolt spun off pretty easy after a couple minutes of impacting.
Crank pulley will slide right off.
Unbolt the timing cover and mark belts in all places in relation to their pulley and the stable position on engine somewhere. I always use red paint to see easiest.
Remove the center bolt of timing tensioners (yes it's a strange design with two pulley on one bolt) by way of first removing tensioner arm on right side. Spring and 10mm bolt. Remember this piece.
Remove 14mm center bolt over the two pulleys (same bolt that was sticking out the center of the timing cover. The left pulley will loosen after this bolt is loose.
Remember the two pulley and their springs though.
Water pump is easy to access after belts are out.
Re-install new pump with extra sealant goo, because the puny gasket it comes with sucks.
Re-install new timing belts matching exactly the marks from old belt onto new and aligning patiently!!
Get new springs for your tensioner pulley for the timing system. That will make this much easier!
Let the springs pull the pulley tight and re-tighten center bolt for timing pulley. Or hand tighten the two pulley and belts by using multiple tools and heavy screw drivers all at once or with help. But I recommend buying new springs.
Button up in reverse and remove the bolt from the balance shaft.
Re-install cover, then crank pulley and v belts and motor mount in reverse.
Easy job if you understand patience and haves good impact wrench!!
Good luck!!

WheelBrokerAng 06-30-2013 12:42 AM

Very good post Zachary..It's a keeper for sure.

Thank You very much and also Thank You for joining the HAF... :)