Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Do-It-Yourself Section (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/)
-   -   DIY: Aftermarket shift knob on automatic 5th Gen accord (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/diy-aftermarket-shift-knob-automatic-5th-gen-accord-36355/)

trijoon 11-27-2010 06:21 PM

DIY: Aftermarket shift knob on automatic 5th Gen accord

3 Attachment(s)
This is a very easy and short DIY for replacing the shift knob on an automatic accord with an aftermarket one.

Tools:
Phillips head screwdriver
Allen Key or screwdriver specific to the aftermarket knob you are installing.

Time required: 5 to 10 minutes.

Process:
Make sure your car is off and in park.

-Unscrew the two screws on either side of the OEM shift knob with.
Attachment 3989

-Slide the whole assembly straight up out of the shift lever. BE GENTLE, there are plastic parts that you wont want to break.

-You will see a spring loaded rod with triangular tip. Around it, there is a white plastic piece. I am not sure about the purpose of it, but do not break or loose it.

Attachment 3990
-Slide the spring around the triangular tip rod. I used the same spring from the OEM knob, because the spring loaded button on the aftermarket knob was not strong enough. (Some aftermarket knobs come with pre loaded spring button or with separate spring).

-Slide the new knob in place and hold where you feel the resistance(when you feel that the base button is just touching the rod inside).

-Use the allen screws or whatever screws came with the knob to tighten the knob in place.
Attachment 3991

-Test if there is any problems in shifting. Remove and redo the installation again if the shift is harsh or not smooth as factory knob.

-Keep the factory knob and the screws in the a secure place ;)

Enjoy your new after market knob.

Diorel 12-14-2010 03:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's mine.
Attachment 19756

trijoon 12-14-2010 09:07 AM

Looks nice.
I am planning to go for a boot change and push cap knob rather than the push button one that I have right now.

Diorel 12-14-2010 07:57 PM

yeah, true. seems there's a trick on the fixing of the knob. If you don't get it right, you can shift on all gears/position without pressing the button thereby disabling the safety lock that you have to press the button before you can shift from P to R , N to R etc.

trijoon 12-15-2010 09:14 AM

Yup, but I ran into problems not shifting into park after it went to any other gears, thats why I had to put the OEM spring to get the right amount of spring force. They do sell springs in home depo that you that you have to cut and what not, but the spring from the factory worked for me.

nikole95.7 01-06-2011 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Diorel (Post 224210)
yeah, true. seems there's a trick on the fixing of the knob. If you don't get it right, you can shift on all gears/position without pressing the button thereby disabling the safety lock that you have to press the button before you can shift from P to R , N to R etc.

Yup, but I ran into problems not shifting into park after it went to any other gears, thats why I had to put the OEM spring to get the right amount of spring force. They do sell springs in home depo that you that you have to cut and what not, but the spring from the factory worked for me.

Noridetoolow 01-18-2011 09:07 AM

I did this years ago on a 95 wagon, used a shift boot from an early 90s 300ZX and a button-less shift knob on ebay. It was made for an automatic and its internally spring loaded, pressing down on the shift know was "pushing the button". It was a great design and when done looked JUST like a manual.

dagriff1997 12-07-2013 02:34 PM

Is it possible to do this on a gen6 02 accord? and where did you buy you're knob?

mel051075 09-25-2015 01:25 PM

always "on" auto shift button

does it hurt the car if I put on a manual shift knob in place of the automatic knob, by fixing it so that it will always press on the shift release?

I have read some where you can actually mod the lock installed on the shift so that you can put the keys on "off and lock".

It is doable only thing I'm worried about is that having the shift release pressed on all the time that it may hurt my car.

Thanks!