Do-It-Yourself Section This section is for requests for DIY help, not for general technical advice.

DIY wood car ramps for low profile

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 08:42 PM
Default DIY wood car ramps for low profile

So, I have a 19 Accord Touring , wife has 19 Altima, and for both cars my oil changes have been a pain is the @SS . Previous steel ramps are angled up too high without the bottom of the cars hitting them. Tried to jack up and use jack stands, that couldnt work, because once jacked up on side, no proper place to put jack-stands. The front jackpoint is so damn far under the front, and unreachable for my floor jack. So what I had to do was jack up from the side a bit, then push the steel ramps under the tire, then roll up. Totally aggravating process, so today I made my own wood ramps. I didnt make an actual DIY video, only the result. I am posting the measurements in case someone wants to do something similar.

Bought 4- 2x12 boards from Home Depot , 8 feet long. Cut them in half for the bottom board (48") , using table saw angled them at 45 degrees. Next board 38" long, then 29.5, then 20.5 , and the top is 12" with a 2x3 block to act as a stopper. They ARE heavy when finished, so I added a handle on each. As with any ramps, people need to be careful not to roll too far. Of course, 2x12's arent actually 2", so the net height of 5 levels will get you about 8" total. So this did the job, and Im happy. Too many failing plastic ramps out there, and Id prefer not to spend $300+ on low clearance steel ramps. Questions/ feedback / criticism are welcome. TY Materials will cost about $85

Old 09-22-2019, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Nice job!
I have a set of steel ramps that have a kind of plastic lead-in ramp that worked pretty good, but the posts that attach them to the steel ramps are beginning to break off. I've been meaning to make something like you did, but you did a nicer job than what I probably would have done.

Slippery when wet?? Maybe get some sticky-back rough sandpaper-like stuff they put on steps or ladders?

Old 09-22-2019, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Nice job!
I have a set of steel ramps that have a kind of plastic lead-in ramp that worked pretty good, but the posts that attach them to the steel ramps are beginning to break off. I've been meaning to make something like you did, but you did a nicer job than what I probably would have done.

Slippery when wet?? Maybe get some sticky-back rough sandpaper-like stuff they put on steps or ladders?
I think with the lead-in angle, I dont think they will slip on wet ground. I wouldnt change my oil on wet ground anyhow. I think making an even sharper angle ( my tablesaw maxed at 45 degrees) would definitely be the answer to that. Once rolled up on the 1st level, they arent going anywhere with all that weight on them.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I was thinking slippery between tire & wood. Not necessarily wet ground, but say you just washed the car & the tires are wet or water is still dripping from fender wells.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:12 AM

Oh, now I see. Yea, Id wash the car after my oil change On a sidenote, I did use pressure treated wood to avoid wood rot , possible insect damage. I expect to leave these to my grandchildren in my will haha