Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Do-It-Yourself Section (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/)
-   -   How to fix steady SRS light (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/how-fix-steady-srs-light-65421/)

winter 01-22-2018 08:27 PM

How to fix steady SRS light

1 Attachment(s)
SRS light on 2001 Honda Accord will not go off. DIY answer.

Let the Honda dealer do it for $1450, or do it myself for $31 and 4 hrs of my Labor.

Tools needed – a very long Star T27 and a Phillips Screwdriver
Parts needed – buy a $440 Module from on line Honda store or get one from Ebay ($60 to $110) or pull one yourself from a junk car ($31)

1. First see this video and try to reset the computer

if the computer resets as the video shows – you are good to go, SRS Module is OK
if the light blinks, but stays on – you have a code to clear – the SRS Module is OK see this video for how to read codes -

2. If light never blinks, is on steady after trying to reset, you have a bad SRS Module, and I then had to open the middle console up to get the SRS Module out (Its below the radio, below the storage area. Held down by 3 screws (Use star T27 to get out, on a long socket). Part number is 77960-S84-A74-m2 for a 2001 Honda Accord 4 door, Manual Transmission, 4 Cyl Engine.

3. I went to a used car place, Pull-A-Part in GA to get the exact same part from the same year car, as I could not find that any Honda SRS unit is interchangeable. Cost was $31 for me to go in and take the part out. I looked at 6 Honda Accords on the lot, only one had my exact part number, and it still had its airbag, and no damage to front end, so I knew there should be no codes stored. If codes are stored go on ebay for folks like (www.myairbags.com) who will reset your SRS unit and clear the codes.

4. I then took the part back home and installed it. Be sure to pull the power off the car. Then I reran the first video and reset the computer. Video is here
5. Now with all the SRS lights out my car is good to go.

Notes on how to get to the SRS Module, its deep into the console, and getting to it was not easy.

1. On passenger side, pull down carpet from side of transmission hump and you will see (Below the Radio) the first Star screw to take out. You can see the back of the SRS unit as well.

2. Where the manual or automatic shifter is located, you gently pull up the plastic, do not break, it pops straight up. First out is the 2 cup holder, then you push up (See link here of what you are removing - https://www.hondapartscheap.com/oem-parts/honda-panel-console-nh167l-graphite-black-77297s84a00za?origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4qyb1_L s2AIVAqhpCh1d_wUZEAQYBCABEgIAsPD_BwE

3. This plastic part hides two small screws that hold the Storage Pocket in place. Storage Pocket has the 12V outlet in the front, which when you pull out, you need to disconnect the wires. The Storage Pocket is right on top of the SRS unit you are removing. Remove the back of the Storage Pocket, plastic piece to get to the very back of where the SRS Unit is located.

4. Now you can see the SRS Unit, and there are 2 connectors on the left to remove, and the final 2 Star T27 screws that hold the SRS unit down. One of the wire bundles is tied to the SRS Unit by a plastic tie, just cut that tie off. Remove the Unit and check your part number thats written on top. The front connect comes out real easy, the back connector has slots of the sides that you push in to release. Remove the back connecter to get to the back Star screw as it covers that screw up and blocks getting your T27 on it.

5. The SRS unit is hard to get out, I had to tuck the wire bundles out of the way and take out some screws on the right side to get wiggle room for the unit to move.

Picture below is where the SRS Unit is located.