Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Do-It-Yourself Section (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/)
-   -   HOW TO,,, replace Front Brake Pads (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/how-replace-front-brake-pads-3112/)

deserthonda 05-13-2006 03:04 PM

HOW TO,,, replace Front Brake Pads

accord front brake pads replacement

OK..OK.. I know that this is too easy for most of you,, but those of you with experience got to keep in mind , that we have a lot of members with not as much experience as you do...

First off,, i would get Honda brake pads,thsy cost a bit more but they DO NOT squeak as much as some aftermarket pads,,

TOOLS NEEDED.... 14mm. 17mm, wrench.lug nut tool , c-clamp,

PART NEEDED,, brake pads,,pads come with shims and grease,,

Set the e-brake, loosen the lug nuts while car is still on the ground, raise frt of car, remove the wheel , remove the lower caliper bolt, it is either 14 or 17 mm depending on year and model..flip the caliper upward and slide it off the top pin, remove the old brake pads,,

Preparing to install new pads,,

there should be 2 shims for the back ( inside ) pad and 1 for the frt , the back pad is the one that has the wear indicator spring .. that goes on the inside pf the rotor, with the wear bar up..
On the back pad with 2 shims, the black shim will go first, the silver shiny shim will be on top of that
Apply a bit of grease on back of pads and smear it all over with your finger, install the shim, apply some grease to the shim as well , also apply a bit of grease to the end of the pads where it rides on the caliper ..

Using the c-clamp, squeeze the piston all the way back in,, new pads are much ticker and caliper will not slide back in place unless piston is all the way in, lube the upper caliper slider . install the new pads, install caliper, tighten the lower bolt , install the wheel.

You are done..

Now,, if the rotors are grooved, pitted , they might need to be resurfaced or replaced ...,,ther is a write up on HOW TO replace rotors , in case you need to do so,,

If any question , PLEASE feel free to ask..;)

As brought to my attention by AGENT OF DARKNESS , make sure that the brake master cylinder is not full before you squeeze the caliper piston back in, if it is ,brake fuild will run off from the top of cylinder,,most of the times when pads are worn, the brake fluid will bet real low on master cylinder reservoir and there is no need to remove some fluid,, but just in case fluid has been added , ,,,,,,,,,remove some fluid,if reservoir is over 1/2 filled ,,,, using a turkey baster workd real good ...

i found this link at another site ...

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1281812

Paul79UF 09-05-2011 02:47 PM

I've got some more pictures of the procedure here -

Honda Accord Front Brake Pads Replacement Guide

I'd recommend the Wearever brand of ceramic pads at Advance Auto Parts. I've had good luck with them on several cars.

NutzAboutBolts 03-28-2013 12:22 AM

Better yet, here's a video of it. Also I recommend replacing the front brake pads and either cutting the rotors or replacing the rotors. If the cost of cutting the rotors cost more or equal to the value of a new rotor, I would recommend getting a new rotor since its new and cost the same as cutting it.

WheelBrokerAng 03-28-2013 12:28 AM

Thank You for the link member.. Good One! :)

NutzAboutBolts 03-28-2013 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng (Post 316418)
Thank You for the link member.. Good One! :)

No problem :) that's our YouTube channel by the way.

wenmang 11-08-2013 02:58 PM

what kind of grease used for lubing the pins?

just curious, what kind of grease used for lubing the pins? is it the same one used for applying on the back of brake pad?

NutzAboutBolts 11-09-2013 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by wenmang (Post 335245)
just curious, what kind of grease used for lubing the pins? is it the same one used for applying on the back of brake pad?

No, we used 3M Silicone paste.

The other grease applied to the back of the brake pads are 3M Anti seize lube.