Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Do-It-Yourself Section (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/)
-   -   Ventilation Fan Noise 2009 Accord (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/ventilation-fan-noise-2009-accord-28379/)

msherman03 10-02-2009 08:33 PM

Ventilation Fan Noise 2009 Accord

Hey everyone. New to the forum and have found lots of useful info for my '09 Accord. Just thought I'd share a problem I had with my car recently that others may be experiencing.

I started noticing the blower fan for the HVAC system made a constant high pitched pulsating noise coming from under/behind the glove box. Not super loud but really annoying especially if you like to drive w/o the radio from time to time. It is more noticable when fan speeds are low b/c you can't hear the air blowing from the vents. When you turn the system off it stops, so clearly its a blower motor issue. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the blower motor... no help, still makes noise. Then I found out on another forum out there that the EXL v6 with NAV has a shroud called the "lower passenger cover" (Part Number 77346-TA6-A01) that snaps into place under the glove box. This is the only trim level that gets this part. All others have the mounting/snap points but they don't install it at the factory for some reason. It has sound deadening material on the back of it and everything. Bought the part for $25, took 30 seconds to snap into place and the sound is gone completely.

I'm suprised Honda would not include this part on all cars. Clearly they are aware of the noise issue if they designed a purpose built part to mask it. Suprising they would put there reliability/refinement reputation on the line for such a cheap part. I doubt anyone would bat an eye if their $25,000 Accord was all of a sudden $25,025.

Just thought I'd share my small but annoying problem that others may have. I'd have to believe the noise is "normal" and that all cars have this noise considering they replaced the motor and it still made the noise. Perhaps others out there have the same issue. Good luck, hope this helps!

JimBlake 10-05-2009 08:52 AM

Welcome newbie!
First post after joining & it's nice and informative. I think I'm gonna move this into the DIY area.

eberry4 01-19-2012 10:14 AM

We just bought a pre owned 2009 Accord LX last night! I did notice the noise when I turned the heat on ....the exact noise you mentioned....so thanks..we will look into that part. We are also hearing a loud engine noise though....like a loud whining noise...it didn't seem too bad at the dealer...although we did notice it and thought it was just normal....but this morning I went to start it and it sounds louder!!! Is that something normal in a 2009 model...when I google it ...it does come up. Just to note when I turned the heat off...I still can hear loud engine noise....when I turn the heat back on ...I hear both noises!! I just need advice...because it is certified and we have a 12,000 mile warranty...so if the engine noise isn't common or normal...I will take it in to have it looked at.

Thanks

shamisha 12-07-2014 10:47 AM

ventilation fan

Originally Posted by msherman03 (Post 185451)
Hey everyone. New to the forum and have found lots of useful info for my '09 Accord. Just thought I'd share a problem I had with my car recently that others may be experiencing.

I started noticing the blower fan for the HVAC system made a constant high pitched pulsating noise coming from under/behind the glove box. Not super loud but really annoying especially if you like to drive w/o the radio from time to time. It is more noticable when fan speeds are low b/c you can't hear the air blowing from the vents. When you turn the system off it stops, so clearly its a blower motor issue. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the blower motor... no help, still makes noise. Then I found out on another forum out there that the EXL v6 with NAV has a shroud called the "lower passenger cover" (Part Number 77346-TA6-A01) that snaps into place under the glove box. This is the only trim level that gets this part. All others have the mounting/snap points but they don't install it at the factory for some reason. It has sound deadening material on the back of it and everything. Bought the part for $25, took 30 seconds to snap into place and the sound is gone completely.

I'm suprised Honda would not include this part on all cars. Clearly they are aware of the noise issue if they designed a purpose built part to mask it. Suprising they would put there reliability/refinement reputation on the line for such a cheap part. I doubt anyone would bat an eye if their $25,000 Accord was all of a sudden $25,025.

Just thought I'd share my small but annoying problem that others may have. I'd have to believe the noise is "normal" and that all cars have this noise considering they replaced the motor and it still made the noise. Perhaps others out there have the same issue. Good luck, hope this helps!

Hi there, very helpful post and solution for the same problem in my 2010 accord exl sedan. Could you please upload a short video how you did that in 30 seconds or give step by step instruction to do that. If you can post some picture to locate the area, will be helpful. Thanks

redbull-1 12-07-2014 10:56 AM

See service bulletin:

Honda TSB 09-093

Note: Technical service bulletins are not recalls, unless specifically noted as related to a recall; generally, they are to help Honda technicians with known issues. Issues noted in TSBs do not necessary apply to all vehicles. Normal warranty applies.

shamisha 12-08-2014 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1 (Post 353748)
See service bulletin:

Honda TSB 09-093

Note: Technical service bulletins are not recalls, unless specifically noted as related to a recall; generally, they are to help Honda technicians with known issues. Issues noted in TSBs do not necessary apply to all vehicles. Normal warranty applies.

Thanks so much redbull, i will try to do it myself. Did you do it yourself or dealer did it for you? Dealer is charging about $150 including part and labour. Please advise. Thanks

redbull-1 12-08-2014 12:19 PM

It is easy and can be done in less than a minute. Once you get the part, you'll see the tabs, line them up with the holders and everything snaps into place.

shamisha 12-09-2014 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1 (Post 353789)
It is easy and can be done in less than a minute. Once you get the part, you'll see the tabs, line them up with the holders and everything snaps into place.

Thanks a lot for the propmt response. I will do that this weekend and will post the result.